World Cup
(06-30-2018, 01:10 AM)Maddisin10 Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 03:58 PM)Coltrane88 Wrote: ^VAR is a success.  Reversal of offside goals, wrong players getting yellows etc..  The objective is to reduce error and that's happened.  The first S. KOR goal vs GER would not have been correctly allowed.  There's obviously still disagreement over the interpretation of rules and what's a penalty (i.e. holding during corners has always been an issue and it's gone unpunished for eons).  

^^Highlightsfootball is another site

Personally I agree that VAR has been a success. It's a step in the right direction. There are still some minor things to work out like you mentioned but it's working.

The only problem with VAR is that not all referees use it as often as they should and at the end, people are making the final decision and we are not infallible. It's a big improvement.

VAR has checked a total of 335 incidents during the group stage of the World Cup - Referees called 95% of incidents correctly without VAR, but the system has improved that success rate to 99.3%

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44658757
[-] The following 2 users Like Black19magic85's post:
  • Coltrane88, cwest
That was a good knockout game. Mbappe was too fast to handle for the slow Argentinian defenders. He was clinical in his finishing. There were some beautiful goals,
[-] The following 1 user Likes Black19magic85's post:
  • cwest
Mbappe is a beast. FRA didn't really deserve to be down at any point in that game. Hardly anything they could have done on the first 2 goals except maybe close down Di Maria faster on the first goal and perhaps move the back line up faster to put Mercado offside. Great offensive output though...peaking in the knockout stages is always the goal.
[-] The following 2 users Like Coltrane88's post:
  • Black19magic85, cwest
That is how you start the knockout stages with a game like that. Mbappe killed Argentina today. France is one of those teams where they either just flame out totally or they make a deep run. The way they are playing right now on offense is very scary for whoever they play next, defense does need a bit of work.
[-] The following 4 users Like blkknight1's post:
  • Black19magic85, cwest, RickTheDick, Maddisin10
I expect Portugal vs. Uruguay to be completely opposite. I'm expecting a defensive struggle, 0 – 0 or 1 – 1. I think it will be decided by penalties.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Black19magic85's post:
  • cwest
^^The thing with France is we haven't seen them offensively at a consistently top level where they just demolish teams (group stage was pedestrian probably because of their opponents just playing not to concede and they wren't inspiring in their WC qualification either). They have the capacity to just kill games off in the first half which is what they could have done today.

^Hate penalties but can't say you're wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Coltrane88's post:
  • cwest
Going to have to pull for France, alway's Liberty's best friend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cwest's post:
  • Black19magic85
Gonna root for Belgium. They kinda got a golden generation.
[-] The following 2 users Like snakebyte666's post:
  • RickTheDick, cwest
(06-30-2018, 12:29 PM)snakebyte666 Wrote: Gonna root for Belgium. They kinda got a golden generation.

Belgium, France, and Croatia are looking very solid.  I expect them to be the top three when all is done.

This is turning out to be one of the best World Cups.

The absolute worst was the one in South Africa.
[-] The following 2 users Like RickTheDick's post:
  • cwest, Maddisin10
(06-30-2018, 03:00 PM)RickTheDick Wrote: The absolute worst was the one in South Africa.

Those vuvuzelas about drove me nuts.  I had to turn off the sound.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cwest's post:
  • RickTheDick