This is America
Couple of interpretations I picked up on.

1. Gambino dressing like a slave with the unkempt hair and beard dancing and making coon faces to entertain white America.
2. Guns are treated better than people. Every time he shoots, someone comes to safely take it away but the bodies are just dragged off/left on the floor.
3. The white horse near the end is to signify the beginning of the apocalypse (four horsemen)

Overall, great song and video. I liked his other song on SNL too. Can't wait for his final album.
un57 Wrote:Anyway, clearly you don't know much about music, past or present, so I'll just leave it alone.

You're out on a date with a hot chick. He takes you to some fusion bar in the fufu part of town. The kind of place where people valet park their Priuses. She orders some dessert you've never heard of that looks like frozen yogurt. "You have to try this", she chirps. She takes a scoop of it in a spoon and feeds it to you. It turns out to be Brussels sprout ice cream. Confusedhock:

You don't need to be a culinary expert to know that Brussels spout ice cream is shit.
White Girl Connoisseur
[Image: OxvA.gif]
That video is layered with commentary that evades people who are simply looking for the hook. It's more performance art than music and I'm sure there are people that simply cannot be bothered with trying to unpack it all. He's creatively fearless in a way that you wouldn't understand unless you took his screen writing and his music as a whole.
This...

Coltrane88 Wrote:It's more performance art than music

[Image: Hammernail.gif~c200]
White Girl Connoisseur
I co signed everything Styles has said and I really did the white girl dancing in that Spike Lee flick intro..especially when she's in that boxing getup!

You wanna talk about political music? I bet today's shit don't have gems like this

[youtube]RWlvOolOic4[/youtube]

[Image: O2OK5gJ7_o.gif]   

HE HAS BRING THE RUCKUS
TO ALL YOU MUTHAFUCKAS

XD XD XD         

Exactly.

You can be political and make music that sounds good at the same time. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

And BTW, a lot of mainstream rap from the 90s was political. KRS One was political. Tribe called quest was political. De La Soul was political. But they were subversive: using the music as the candy to hide the pill inside. This way, they could get their message out to so many more people than Kendrick Lemar or Childish Glover can reach with their blatant virtue signaling.
White Girl Connoisseur
Shotgun Styles Wrote:virtue signaling.
:roll:

Shut the fuck up. No, seriously, shut the fuck up. Dumbasses like you would have been saying this same dumb fucking shit about all those groups you mentioned back in the 90's. You would have been saying this shit about MLK, "Why doesn't he have peaceful marches?" You would have been saying this shit about W. E. B. Du Bois rejecting the Atlanta Compromise.

Its the same fucking broken record the rightwing has been shitting out for a century. "Why aren't you 'respectable'?"
NIGHT NIGHT
[Image: XqL1ob4.gif]
ALT RIGHT
fletchlives Wrote:
Shotgun Styles Wrote:virtue signaling.
:roll:

Shut the fuck up. No, seriously, shut the fuck up. Dumbasses like you would have been saying this same dumb fucking shit about all those groups you mentioned back in the 90's. You would have been saying this shit about MLK, "Why doesn't he have peaceful marches?" You would have been saying this shit about W. E. B. Du Bois rejecting the Atlanta Compromise.

Its the same fucking broken record the rightwing has been shitting out for a century. "Why aren't you 'respectable'?"

Uh oh. Fletch is off his meds again! Tongue

Calm down. Call Doctor Probst and get your prescription renewed. It's ok, son. It's going to be all right.

Now, your Triggered Millennial act aside, you've completely missed the point here. Artists have to be subtle if they want their message to resonate widely and persistently over time. Who's going to be listening to this Glover song in 10 years? Nobody. Because it's not pleasant to listen to. Fight The Power still gets radio play 30 years on and counting.

The means by which you communicate can't simply be relevant. Those means have to be effective. Glover will get some contemporary bump for this "music", and then it will be relegated to the scrap heap in a month.

Let me show you two examples of doing it the RIGHT WAY. One contemporary, one old school. Both are far more effective vehicles for their message than Glover's release...

[youtube]RM7lw0Ovzq0[/youtube]

[youtube]qGaoXAwl9kw[/youtube]

"I like that second one"
-Jay Z
White Girl Connoisseur
Shotgun Styles Wrote:Exactly.

You can be political and make music that sounds good at the same time. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

And BTW, a lot of mainstream rap from the 90s was political. KRS One was political. Tribe called quest was political. De La Soul was political. But they were subversive: using the music as the candy to hide the pill inside. This way, they could get their message out to so many more people than Kendrick Lemar or Childish Glover can reach with their blatant virtue signaling.

I thought Kendrick sold well. Better than De la in fact. Not so?
Let's not let the thread become a personal attack. Feel free to disagree with someone's personal opinion but that should be it. Anything else... eh you know the drill, deleted, banned, banished forever etc.