This is America
richiesvids Wrote:
Shotgun Styles Wrote:Exactly.

You can be political and make music that sounds good at the same time. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

And BTW, a lot of mainstream rap from the 90s was political. KRS One was political. Tribe called quest was political. De La Soul was political. But they were subversive: using the music as the candy to hide the pill inside. This way, they could get their message out to so many more people than Kendrick Lemar or Childish Glover can reach with their blatant virtue signaling.

I thought Kendrick sold well. Better than De la in fact. Not so?
He does, but I don't think that was his point.
Loved the video and the song. Can't wait to hear the album.
Shotgun Styles Wrote:
fletchlives Wrote:
Shotgun Styles Wrote:virtue signaling.
:roll:

Shut the fuck up. No, seriously, shut the fuck up. Dumbasses like you would have been saying this same dumb fucking shit about all those groups you mentioned back in the 90's. You would have been saying this shit about MLK, "Why doesn't he have peaceful marches?" You would have been saying this shit about W. E. B. Du Bois rejecting the Atlanta Compromise.

Its the same fucking broken record the rightwing has been shitting out for a century. "Why aren't you 'respectable'?"

Uh oh. Fletch is off his meds again! Tongue

Calm down. Call Doctor Probst and get your prescription renewed. It's ok, son. It's going to be all right.

Now, your Triggered Millennial act aside, you've completely missed the point here. Artists have to be subtle if they want their message to resonate widely and persistently over time. Who's going to be listening to this Glover song in 10 years? Nobody. Because it's not pleasant to listen to. Fight The Power still gets radio play 30 years on and counting.

The means by which you communicate can't simply be relevant. Those means have to be effective. Glover will get some contemporary bump for this "music", and then it will be relegated to the scrap heap in a month.

Let me show you two examples of doing it the RIGHT WAY. One contemporary, one old school. Both are far more effective vehicles for their message than Glover's release...

[youtube]RM7lw0Ovzq0[/youtube]

[youtube]qGaoXAwl9kw[/youtube]

"I like that second one"
-Jay Z

This song and video will be forgotten by next year. The millenials, who are the majority of those listening to this song, don't own or even buy music. They stream it, so only the latest or hyped will gets significant streams. Today's music has no longstanding value anymore.
Shotgun Styles Wrote:
fletchlives Wrote:
Shotgun Styles Wrote:virtue signaling.
:roll:

Shut the fuck up. No, seriously, shut the fuck up. Dumbasses like you would have been saying this same dumb fucking shit about all those groups you mentioned back in the 90's. You would have been saying this shit about MLK, "Why doesn't he have peaceful marches?" You would have been saying this shit about W. E. B. Du Bois rejecting the Atlanta Compromise.

Its the same fucking broken record the rightwing has been shitting out for a century. "Why aren't you 'respectable'?"

Uh oh. Fletch is off his meds again! Tongue

Calm down. Call Doctor Probst and get your prescription renewed. It's ok, son. It's going to be all right.

Now, your Triggered Millennial act aside, you've completely missed the point here. Artists have to be subtle if they want their message to resonate widely and persistently over time. Who's going to be listening to this Glover song in 10 years? Nobody. Because it's not pleasant to listen to. Fight The Power still gets radio play 30 years on and counting.

The means by which you communicate can't simply be relevant. Those means have to be effective. Glover will get some contemporary bump for this "music", and then it will be relegated to the scrap heap in a month.

Let me show you two examples of doing it the RIGHT WAY. One contemporary, one old school. Both are far more effective vehicles for their message than Glover's release...

[youtube]RM7lw0Ovzq0[/youtube]

[youtube]qGaoXAwl9kw[/youtube]

"I like that second one"
-Jay Z

This song and video will be forgotten by next year. The millenials, who are the majority of those listening to this song, don't own or even buy music. They stream it, so only the latest or hyped will gets significant streams. Today's music has no longstanding value anymore.
kcjones Wrote:This song and video will be forgotten by next year. The millenials, who are the majority of those listening to this song, don't own or even buy music. They stream it, so only the latest or hyped will gets significant streams. Today's music has no longstanding value anymore.

This. It's short term, short attention span thinking.

One of my favorite songs is "Fortunate Son" by CCR. The message is dope, but I listen to it because I like the song. That is the subversive nature of music and what makes it such a transformative art form. You may be listening to the tune, but subconsciously you're absorbing the message.

Younger artists, and Millennials in general have yet to learn this. They want to beat everyone over the head with their politics. But like Bruce Lee said, "you can't change people with your fists..."
White Girl Connoisseur
^DAMN. nigga we got it, you have an irrational hatred for music made by or meant to be consumed by people born from 1982 to 1996. OK, we get it, now could you please move the fuck on.
newbob Wrote:^DAMN. nigga we got it, you have an irrational hatred for music made by or meant to be consumed by people born from 1982 to 1996. OK, we get it, now could you please move the fuck on.

Irrational? Moi?

[Image: tumblr_ni4x5nIXw81rpj04no1_500.gif]
White Girl Connoisseur
To both sides.

[Image: zyIF9Y4.png]

Let us move on from this clusterfuck of discussing taste of millenials, because neither side wants to budge and it's not going anywhere.

Discuss the vid, discuss politics involving the vid, discuss American culture, but drop the generation defense thing, because it has gotten tired on both sides.
Ok. But I'm totally rational.

I'm a very stable genius, or haven't you heard....
White Girl Connoisseur
Clearly not stable enough to be the Admin. Tongue