World Cup
(07-05-2018, 11:04 AM)Black19magic85 Wrote: Geiger should be sent home. He didn't control the game. He and his linesmen weren't good enough to referee on this level. He was pretty one-sided.

I don't get the referee assignments. Japan vs. Belgium had a Senegalian referee, but he did better than expected. Japanese media were complaining before the game. Why create unnecessary controversy?

I think Pierluigi Collina is trying to show that every official is beyond reproach no matter the teams or circumstance.  But when you have reports of referees asking for autographs or shirts, it's hard to be confident in the absolute professionalism of the group as a whole.

I'm curious as to if they will ever implement a rule in regards to spacing and blocking by the attacking teams on corners.  At this point, teams like England are basically using modified NFL blocking schemes.
The referee performance in this world cup is lacking to say the least. I dont know if its the VAR, or FIFA's guidance. Some refs seem hesitant to use the yellow or red cards.

I'm also sick of all the over-the-top acting by they players. There should be a Hall of Shame for players like Pepe and Neymar.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/soccer/?utm_term=.a539578ff262&wpisrc=nl_worldcup2018&wpmm=1
Vive la France! On to the semi's!
(07-06-2018, 09:54 AM)cwest Wrote: Vive la France!  On to the semi's!

So first prediction is correct.  France deserved the win. 

But Mbabi's dramatic talents should be saved for theater.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RickTheDick's post:
  • cwest
It wasn't a good game. Uruguay was toothless without Cavani. France had a bit of luck with the goalkeeper's mistake because with 1-0 everything can happen in the dying minutes.

I hope that Belgium pulls through.
[-] The following 2 users Like Black19magic85's post:
  • cwest, bloggy
(07-06-2018, 10:05 AM)RickTheDick Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 09:54 AM)cwest Wrote: Vive la France!  On to the semi's!

So first prediction is correct.  France deserved the win. 

But Mbabi's dramatic talents should be saved for theater.

LOL well said. Some of the player's antics are ridiculous.

(07-06-2018, 10:10 AM)Black19magic85 Wrote: It wasn't a good game. Uruguay was toothless without Cavani. France had a bit of luck with the goalkeeper's mistake because with 1-0 everything can happen in the dying minutes.

I hope that Belgium pulls through.

“Luck Is What Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"
Quite the game between Belgium & Brazil. Second prediction correct. Very impressive Belgian squad. Also impressive how they've worked as a real team.

Not sorry at all to see Neymar leave.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RickTheDick's post:
  • bloggy
Meh, Belgium got lucky on their first goal, scored a great counter attacking 2nd. They then sat back, and didn't create really anything against a side that had to push it. I think if you replay those exact chances across the game that Brazil created, they score at least 2 probably 3, 9 out of 10 times. Easily one of Coutinho's worst games that I've seen him play.

Belgium have definite quality (perfectly tailored for quick attacks) but it's kind of puzzling how little they did in that 2nd half. Not a convincing finish for me.
Good Belgium vs Brazil match. Only thing i'll probably miss is the Neymar memes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lbrown047's post:
  • RickTheDick