World Cup
(06-27-2018, 01:54 PM)taytn Wrote: french guy posting here.....anyone else riled up for France - Argentina on Saturday ? Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes gluttony's post:
  • taytn
I really hate that Senegal is eliminated. They were my dark horse team and I wanted to have one African team advance. But they brought it on themselves by wasting time and not playing for the win.

Now I will be rooting for Belgium, my neighboring country.
[-] The following 2 users Like Black19magic85's post:
  • taytn, bloggy
Belgium is my favourite, they are really impressive
[-] The following 1 user Likes taytn's post:
  • bloggy
I really like how mexico has been playing. Unfortunately they have Brazil in the round of 16. They might be able to give them some trouble if they use the speed game on the counter attack, like they did against germany.
This has been a great World Cup. I loved the funeral that Brazil had for Germany today. It's the kind of passion that WC brings to the table. I also think that they were happy as hell to avoid Germany after the way they manhandled them 4 years ago!

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/world-c...imination/
(06-28-2018, 10:03 PM)kt466 Wrote: This has been a great World Cup. I loved the funeral that Brazil had for Germany today. It's the kind of passion that WC brings to the table. I also think that they were happy as hell to avoid Germany after the way they manhandled them 4 years ago!

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/world-c...imination/

That is pretty good payback for how Germany embarrassed them in the finals in 2014.
[-] The following 2 users Like cwest's post:
  • bloggy, lbrown047
Japan won by fair play is somewhat ironic. They wasted the last 10 minutes passing at the back so they won't lose another goal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lbrown047's post:
  • Maddisin10
(06-29-2018, 04:19 AM)lbrown047 Wrote: Japan won by fair play is somewhat ironic.  They wasted the last 10 minutes passing at the back so they won't lose another goal.

Yeah that was kind of messed up. But I can't fault Japan. They way the tiebreakers are set up and they did what they needed to do to advance. It's not in the spirit of the rules but it isn't illegal. To me it's kind of like in basketball to fouling up 3. Sure it's the smart play and isn't illegal. But it's against the spirit because we don't get to see team attempt that shot to tie the game.
(06-28-2018, 09:30 PM)craig23 Wrote: I really like how mexico has been playing.  Unfortunately they have Brazil in the round of 16.  They might be able to give them some trouble if they use the speed game on the counter attack, like they did against germany.

There are a lot of good matches in the round of 16. But the Mexico/Brazil is the 1 I'm really looking forward to.
(06-29-2018, 06:02 AM)Maddisin10 Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 04:19 AM)lbrown047 Wrote: Japan won by fair play is somewhat ironic.  They wasted the last 10 minutes passing at the back so they won't lose another goal.

Yeah that was kind of messed up. But I can't fault Japan. They way the tiebreakers are set up and they did what they needed to do to advance. It's not in the spirit of the rules but it isn't illegal. To me it's kind of like in basketball to fouling up 3. Sure it's the smart play and isn't illegal. But it's against the spirit because we don't get to see team attempt that shot to tie the game.

Shots on target or corners won are better tiebreakers than yellow cards.  

There are some real good Round of 16 matchups.  My only ask is games be settled before penalties.  Watching teams actually play for penalties is plain terrible.  It's even more infuriating when it's two footballing powers that take a super risk-averse approach.  France vs Argentina could be one such occasion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Coltrane88's post:
  • Maddisin10