World Cup
(06-29-2018, 06:39 AM)Coltrane88 Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 06:02 AM)Maddisin10 Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 04:19 AM)lbrown047 Wrote: Japan won by fair play is somewhat ironic.  They wasted the last 10 minutes passing at the back so they won't lose another goal.

Yeah that was kind of messed up. But I can't fault Japan. They way the tiebreakers are set up and they did what they needed to do to advance. It's not in the spirit of the rules but it isn't illegal. To me it's kind of like in basketball to fouling up 3. Sure it's the smart play and isn't illegal. But it's against the spirit because we don't get to see team attempt that shot to tie the game.

Shots on target or corners won are better tiebreakers than yellow cards.  

There are some real good Round of 16 matchups.  My only ask is games be settled before penalties.  Watching teams actually play for penalties is plain terrible.  It's even more infuriating when it's two footballing powers that take a super risk-averse approach.  France vs Argentina could be one such occasion.

Yeah I agree that there should be better tiebreakers before you get to that stage to decide on fair play.

Yep I hope the games are decided before a penalty shootout. I hate them. Just like a shootout in Olympic hockey. I do wish they would have at least 1 more 15 minute golden goal period before going to penalties.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maddisin10's post:
  • taytn
I can't wait for France - Argentina and Brazil - Mexico !
I have a wedding during France - Argentina, idk how i will manage to watch it lol
(06-29-2018, 07:00 AM)Maddisin10 Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 06:39 AM)Coltrane88 Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 06:02 AM)Maddisin10 Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 04:19 AM)lbrown047 Wrote: Japan won by fair play is somewhat ironic.  They wasted the last 10 minutes passing at the back so they won't lose another goal.

Yeah that was kind of messed up. But I can't fault Japan. They way the tiebreakers are set up and they did what they needed to do to advance. It's not in the spirit of the rules but it isn't illegal. To me it's kind of like in basketball to fouling up 3. Sure it's the smart play and isn't illegal. But it's against the spirit because we don't get to see team attempt that shot to tie the game.

Shots on target or corners won are better tiebreakers than yellow cards.  

There are some real good Round of 16 matchups.  My only ask is games be settled before penalties.  Watching teams actually play for penalties is plain terrible.  It's even more infuriating when it's two footballing powers that take a super risk-averse approach.  France vs Argentina could be one such occasion.

Yeah I agree that there should be better tiebreakers before you get to that stage to decide on fair play.

Yep I hope the games are decided before a penalty shootout. I hate them. Just like a shootout in Olympic hockey. I do wish they would have at least 1 more 15 minute golden goal period before going to penalties.

Golden goal would make extra time more defensive. There was one European Champions in 1996 with golden goal and it wasn't good.
They abolished it quickly after it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Black19magic85's post:
  • Coltrane88
KO Round by Continent

NA - 1
SA - 4
Eur - 10 (Russia here)
Asia - 1
Senegal or Nigeria should be in, it's too bad
(06-29-2018, 08:53 AM)taytn Wrote: I can't wait for France - Argentina and Brazil - Mexico !
I have a wedding during France - Argentina, idk how i will manage to watch it lol

I usually watch reruns/highlights at fullmatchesandshows.com or lasthl.com.  Plus they are pretty quick to get content on after it's finished.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lbrown047's post:
  • taytn
Supporting England to win it, they now have a easy route to the finals, colombia > sweden/switerland >spain/russia/croatia/denmark just a matter of keeping the momentum going from the first two games played. I think this world cup has been totally messed up by the VAR, too many penalties given away and influencing a lot players diving to get free kicks.

The referees have been turning a blinded eye to blatant fouls.
^VAR is a success. Reversal of offside goals, wrong players getting yellows etc.. The objective is to reduce error and that's happened. The first S. KOR goal vs GER would not have been correctly allowed. There's obviously still disagreement over the interpretation of rules and what's a penalty (i.e. holding during corners has always been an issue and it's gone unpunished for eons).

^^Highlightsfootball is another site
[-] The following 3 users Like Coltrane88's post:
  • taytn, Maddisin10, Black19magic85
Monique Fuentes celebrates Columbia's winner v Senegal

https://twitter.com/MoniqueFuentes3/stat...0139043840
[Image: giphy.gif]
sig: Lexi Belle & JonJon (Elegant Angel)
[-] The following 1 user Likes smithvenables's post:
  • Black19magic85
(06-29-2018, 10:58 PM)Coltrane88 Wrote: ^VAR is a success.  Reversal of offside goals, wrong players getting yellows etc..  The objective is to reduce error and that's happened.  The first S. KOR goal vs GER would not have been correctly allowed.  There's obviously still disagreement over the interpretation of rules and what's a penalty (i.e. holding during corners has always been an issue and it's gone unpunished for eons).  

^^Highlightsfootball is another site

Personally I agree that VAR has been a success. It's a step in the right direction. There are still some minor things to work out like you mentioned but it's working.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maddisin10's post:
  • Coltrane88