World Cup
This World Cup is unpredictable and I didn't expect Sweden to win. But Switzerland really disappointed me. They were really weak and couldn't create anything. Sweden should have been ahead in a few minutes but their finishing was bad.

Belgium vs Japan was a thriller and fun game. Belgium underestimated Japan and it almost costed them. Japan played well as a team.

I want England to lose, but I don't think that Columbia can win without James.
https://www.newyorker.com/sporting-scene/replay/world-cup-2018-neymar-fools-mexico-and-brazil-wins-again?mbid=nl_Daily%20070318&CNDID=53221997&spMailingID=13806429&spUserID=MjYxNDkzOTUyNTUxS0&spJobID=1440238526&spReportId=MTQ0MDIzODUyNgS2
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-socce...SKBN1JT2ZT
The only team in the bottom side of the bracket that's played any decent football (against proper opponents) over the span of 2+ games is Croatia and they seem to be reverting to their knockout phase form by regressing.

The over-hyped reaction to England winning a shootout after playing some turgid football is absurdly amusing. The reliance on winning penalties from set pieces qualifies as masterclass?? Smacks of some serious insecurity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Coltrane88's post:
  • Black19magic85
I wasn't happy that England won. I hate their overhyped team and media. I hope that Sweden beats them. Most teams lose the game after penalties. They spend too much energy on the game before. I hope if they beat Sweden that Croatie will set them straight.

Who do you think will win the Quarterfinals?

Brazil vs Belgium. I think that Belgium will win. I'm not impressed with Brazil and they'll be without their talisman. Tite hasn't lost a game with Casemiro and he is suspended.

Uruguay vs France. France will win although Uruguay has the best defense. I don't think that Cavani will play.

Croatia vs. Russia. I hope that Croatia reverts to their group stage and wins. Russia isn't good.

Sweden vs. England. Most teams lose the game after penalties and I hope that Sweden wins.
[-] The following 2 users Like Black19magic85's post:
  • RickTheDick, taytn
(07-04-2018, 02:58 AM)Black19magic85 Wrote: I wasn't happy that England won. I hate their overhyped team and media. I hope that Sweden beats them. Most teams lose the game after penalties. They spend too much energy on the game before. I hope if they beat Sweden that Croatie will set them straight.

Who do you think will win the Quarterfinals?

Brazil vs Belgium. I think that Belgium will win. I'm not impressed with Brazil and they'll be without their talisman. Tite hasn't lost a game with Casemiro and he is suspended.

Uruguay vs France. France will win although Uruguay has the best defense. I don't think that Cavani will play.

Croatia vs. Russia. I hope that Croatia reverts to their group stage and wins. Russia isn't good.

Sweden vs. England. Most teams lose the game after penalties and I hope that Sweden wins.

Agree about the English press.

Here are my expectations:

Belgium, France, Croatia, and Sweden will win.

I just hope we don't see penalty shootouts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RickTheDick's post:
  • Black19magic85
I agree for all except Sweden, England looks solid, i think they win this one
France and Croatia is absolute certainty. Even tho Brazil does not have Casemiro, I don't think Belgium will run over Brazil easily (depending on which team they will bring)

As for Sweden vs England, too close to call so I'll say England on penalties again.
I hope a RUS-ENG semi can be avoided. Croatia just needs to deliver. I don't trust Belgium to be able to play a complete game. They got lucky vs Japan but they have the firepower. I think Brazil will be better organized and have the tactical advantage but sometimes pedigree and heritage matter and sometimes not.

I wish FIFA would have avoided going with Néstor Pitana (ARG) as the ref for FRA v URA...ugh. The Geiger assignment for the COL v ENG game was questionable. I just don't think he has the personality to control the game (I'll take a ref from the current PL crop over the MLS every time...the less poor option).
(07-04-2018, 06:39 PM)Coltrane88 Wrote: I hope a RUS-ENG semi can be avoided. Croatia just needs to deliver. I don't trust Belgium to be able to play a complete game. They got lucky vs Japan but they have the firepower. I think Brazil will be better organized and have the tactical advantage but sometimes pedigree and heritage matter and sometimes not.

I wish FIFA would have avoided going with Néstor Pitana (ARG) as the ref for FRA v URA...ugh. The Geiger assignment for the COL v ENG game was questionable. I just don't think he has the personality to control the game (I'll take a ref from the current PL crop over the MLS every time...the less poor option).

Geiger should be sent home. He didn't control the game. He and his linesmen weren't good enough to referee on this level. He was pretty one-sided.

I don't get the referee assignments. Japan vs. Belgium had a Senegalian referee, but he did better than expected. Japanese media were complaining before the game. Why create unnecessary controversy?