World Cup
Who does everyone like for the final? There is a little office pool going on at work for the correct team and score on Sunday.  Thanks for the help.
https://www.newyorker.com/sporting-scene/replay/world-cup-2018-kylian-mbappe-and-france-troll-their-way-to-the-final?mbid=nl_Daily%20071118&CNDID=53221997&spMailingID=13855012&spUserID=MjYxNDkzOTUyNTUxS0&spJobID=1440931679&spReportId=MTQ0MDkzMTY3OQS2
Another 'classic' England performance which is the reason we can't get over the line.

We panic too much when we don't have the ball then when we do win it back we lump it long when chasing the game. Croatia were better in the second half granted but they should have been dead and buried after the first 45.

Hopefully this will 'hurt' the young players England have and they will go away kick their wounds and come back stronger for it in 2020 at the Euros.

I am still immensely proud of the team as I think for the first time in years they played at times without a handbrake on them but it's just that final little bit of know how they need to go on be real contenders at tournaments.
(07-12-2018, 12:22 AM)marcusskipsey Wrote: Another 'classic' England performance which is the reason we can't get over the line.

We panic too much when we don't have the ball then when we do win it back we lump it long when chasing the game. Croatia were better in the second half granted but they should have been dead and buried after the first 45.

Hopefully this will 'hurt' the young players England have and they will go away kick their wounds and come back stronger for it in 2020 at the Euros.

I am still immensely proud of the team as I think for the first time in years they played at times without a handbrake on them but it's just that final little bit of know how they need to go on be real contenders at tournaments.

England reverted a little to their old ways...punting up long balls when it got to crunch time.  It seemed like no player wanted to be on the ball especially the defenders who just decided to shirk responsibility and play it back to Pickford to hoof it up.  

They had a fortuitous draw and a reliance on set piece goals.  You're never going to be a real threat from open play with a midfield of Henderson, Lingard and Alli.  I wouldn't build a midfield around any of those.  Alli plays much further forward for Spurs and is only really a threat in the box.  Lingard has appealing movement but he simply is not anywhere near world class.  Klopp's system makes Henderson appear serviceable.  

This run was nice for that temporary warm unifying feeling but they still need better players in multiple positions.

I like France by 1 or 2 goals as long they're proactive and don't repeat that uninspired performance vs Portugal in the Euros.
(07-11-2018, 04:19 PM)lbrown047 Wrote: Oh England...should've won. But Kane was terrible the whole match.

I don't think that England was the better team if you look at the whole game. Croatia was better over 120 minutes.

Kane didn't play well and I was surprised to see him drop back to the midfield in the second half and the extra time. If people look objectively at his World Cup performance, he wasn't as great as they say he was. He scored 3 penalties, one of his goals wasn't his because it was a deflection.

(07-11-2018, 04:54 PM)karinaa623 Wrote: Who does everyone like for the final? There is a little office pool going on at work for the correct team and score on Sunday.  Thanks for the help.

Croatia has played a match more than France if you count all the extra time and they are an older team. They have a slow defense and must face Mbappe. France will play defensively and that will help Croatia. But I think that match fitness will be the deciding advantage.

France will win 2 – 1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Black19magic85's post:
  • RickTheDick
(07-12-2018, 03:01 AM)Black19magic85 Wrote: Kane didn't play well and I was surprised to see him drop back to the midfield in the second half and the extra time. If people look objectively at his World Cup performance, he wasn't as great as they say he was. He scored 3 penalties, one of his goals wasn't his because it was a deflection.

Its the English media hyping up everything. They make him into a superhero when he's doing well..  Then when things dont go as expected, the blaming and accusations begin.

Fortunately, we've been spared their celebratory froth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RickTheDick's post:
  • Black19magic85
Check this out. England tried to score while Croatia was celebrating their second goal. That is just pathetic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments...s_winning/
Here's Luka Modric speaking about how the English media actually motivated the Croatian team:

'They underestimated Croatia and that was a huge mistake':
   - Luka Modric rebukes English media after World Cup semi-final victory over England

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footbal...l?ITO=1490
[-] The following 1 user Likes RickTheDick's post:
  • bloggy
https://www.newyorker.com/sporting-scene/replay/world-cup-2018-the-tragicomic-opera-of-croatias-mario-mandzukic?mbid=nl_071218%20Daily%20(1)&CNDID=53221997&spMailingID=13862342&spUserID=MjYxNDkzOTUyNTUxS0&spJobID=1441027856&spReportId=MTQ0MTAyNzg1NgS2
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-television/the-england-vs-croatia-world-cup-match-made-for-some-awkward-television?mbid=nl_071218%20Daily%20(1)&CNDID=53221997&spMailingID=13862342&spUserID=MjYxNDkzOTUyNTUxS0&spJobID=1441027856&spReportId=MTQ0MTAyNzg1NgS2