Vince McMahon Investing $500mil on XFL2
Kornheiser and Wilbon have taken to calling the AAF the "AAAAAAAAFFFFF". Terrible fucking name.

Both leagues are doomed, but I think the XFL will take the harder hit. They're late, and have poor brand recognition. Ebersol teamed with McMahon on the first iteration of the XFL, and is spearheading the AAF. I wonder what went and got up his ass that he'd try to fuck Vince over this time around.

The NFL is bulletproof. Having said that, football is dying at the youth level as I've mentioned previously. It will be a second rate sport in 20 years, like boxing is now. With no push for youth into a sport, it dies. The MMA is still a marginal success, with proprietors like Dana White keeping his finances a closely held secret. Prize money is a fraction of boxing and careers tend to be short. This is the future of the NFL and hard contact sports generally.
White Girl Connoisseur
(06-30-2018, 01:11 AM)Shotgun Styles Wrote: This would be like buying a mansion in January of 2008. The football bubble is about to burst, and this is the worst time to be getting in. Less and less kids are playing the sport, less and less kids are following it. Michael Wilbon talked about this. Football is dying.

interesting.

so what are US kids playing / following instead?

or are they just less into sports period?
[Image: giphy.gif]
sig: Lexi Belle & JonJon (Elegant Angel)
It's just a matter of time before we'll see all contact sports banned in all schools due to the head injuries which will in turn kill the big leagues.
(07-07-2018, 06:42 PM)smithvenables Wrote:
(06-30-2018, 01:11 AM)Shotgun Styles Wrote: This would be like buying a mansion in January of 2008. The football bubble is about to burst, and this is the worst time to be getting in. Less and less kids are playing the sport, less and less kids are following it. Michael Wilbon talked about this. Football is dying.

interesting.

so what are US kids playing / following instead?

or are they just less into sports period?

Lebron Vs the Warriors has really revived the NBA in the post Kobe era. There was kind of a dead spot in there for a bit. Also, sadly, lots of kids are playing soccer. LaCrosse (Jim Brown's favorite sport) is making a big comeback at the high school level.

Now you have big name players like Brett Favre calling for contact football to be banned for kids under 14. It's bad.

And, of course, video games. The fatness epidemic in this country is closely tied to the over abundance of kids addicted to games. They suck down pop, chomp on cookies and microwave burritos while they play Call Of Duty until 3am. Who wants to go to football practice after all that?

Football will make money because of gambling. But it really is a Boomer and Gen X sport now. Millennials are going another direction. I hate it, because I love the game, but after Shazier I really sat down and shut my mouth. I can't in good conscience remain the purist I once was.
White Girl Connoisseur
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shotgun Styles's post:
  • blacksquatchman
(07-07-2018, 06:22 AM)Shotgun Styles Wrote: The NFL is bulletproof. Having said that, football is dying at the youth level as I've mentioned previously. It will be a second rate sport in 20 years, like boxing is now. With no push for youth into a sport, it dies. The MMA is still a marginal success, with proprietors like Dana White keeping his finances a closely held secret. Prize money is a fraction of boxing and careers tend to be short. This is the future of the NFL and hard contact sports generally.

It's funny. I feel like the NFL took alot of talent from other sports. Boxing, track and field, ect. The the concussion science is no joke. Parents and kids are seriously reconsidering the sport, there's going to be an influx somewhere. Obviously the NBA and Baseball, but ironically maybe even boxing picks back up lol. But they could just solve the brain injury problem in a 5-7 years and it's not a problem. The real investment would be in a rival sport or a watered down, minimized head contact football in the time being.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SWAGGART's post:
  • Shotgun Styles
(07-07-2018, 06:22 AM)Shotgun Styles Wrote: Kornheiser and Wilbon have taken to calling the AAF the "AAAAAAAAFFFFF". Terrible fucking name.

Both leagues are doomed, but I think the XFL will take the harder hit. They're late, and have poor brand recognition. Ebersol teamed with McMahon on the first iteration of the XFL, and is spearheading the AAF. I wonder what went and got up his ass that he'd try to fuck Vince over this time around.

The NFL is bulletproof. Having said that, football is dying at the youth level as I've mentioned previously. It will be a second rate sport in 20 years, like boxing is now. With no push for youth into a sport, it dies. The MMA is still a marginal success, with proprietors like Dana White keeping his finances a closely held secret. Prize money is a fraction of boxing and careers tend to be short. This is the future of the NFL and hard contact sports generally.
So true.  So sad...