NBA Free agency
The commish is thinking about a hard salary cap, i think it would be a good idea to keep franchises from creating superteams, what do you guys think ?
(07-05-2018, 02:44 PM)taytn Wrote: The commish is thinking about a hard salary cap, i think it would be a good idea to keep franchises from creating superteams, what do you guys think ?

It would be good for the game, but bad for the players. It would limit their earning potential. Their union would be stupid to agree.
^ Completely agree. If anything, the salary cap should be removed. Guys, again, this is not a players being overpaid issue. Again, let me reiterate, all the extra money would go to the owners. It wouldn't evaporate and just magically increase the 'average Joe's' income. Not how it works. The owners agree to pay the players more because they realize it's the players that put the butts in seats, get people to tune in, buy the merch, etc. I'm sure the billionaire owners know what's best for their finances despite a lot of people wanting the players to make less money simply because they're more front and center, thus easy to target as those 'making too much for what they do.'
[Image: 7p10mnlqnzhmwpza.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes whiteisright4bbc's post:
  • Black19magic85
(07-06-2018, 03:07 AM)whiteisright4bbc Wrote: ^ Completely agree. If anything, the salary cap should be removed. Guys, again, this is not a players being overpaid issue. Again, let me reiterate, all the extra money would go to the owners. It wouldn't evaporate and just magically increase the 'average Joe's' income. Not how it works. The owners agree to pay the players more because they realize it's the players that put the butts in seats, get people to tune in, buy the merch, etc. I'm sure the billionaire owners know what's best for their finances despite a lot of people wanting the players to make less money simply because they're more front and center, thus easy to target as those 'making too much for what they do.'

I never understand fans that are against players seeking more money. Every lockout, the players are being blamed because the owners use their friends and connections in the media to paint a negative image of the players. The owners never get blamed for being too greedy while the players are doing the actual work. In a game between millionaires and billionaires. They paint the billionaires as the sympathetic ones.

There's always a racial component. A lot of people think that the players should shut up and be happy with they get.
^ I think it's just a lot of fans are ignorant to the financial aspects. They don't understand that the money would just go to the billionaires rather than the players. They think the money would magically go to people who 'deserve' it more. It's very odd, but is more a symptom of people not understanding something fully rather than malice, IMO.
basketball is the only sport were three great players in a team can be labeled a super team. thats what makes it so difficult to stop. i remember dallas got great players together and the nfl introduced that signign bonuses counted towrds the cap. i think thats what jerry jones was doing.
The weird thing is that superteams in the NBA are not new. There has been one decade (the seventies) in the history of the league that didn't have one or two dominant teams.

But now it's the players calling the shots instead of management and everybody gets mad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes btsstuff's post:
  • vesuvius
(07-09-2018, 08:31 PM)btsstuff Wrote: The weird thing is that superteams in the NBA are not new. There has been one decade (the seventies) in the history of the league that didn't have one or two dominant teams.

But now it's the players calling the shots instead of management and everybody gets mad.

Preach.
That's a fair point. It's also no coincidence that the 70's is considered one of, if not, the worst eras in NBA history (and why I personally consider Kareem a bit overrated, but let's not get into that).
(07-05-2018, 03:35 AM)whiteisright4bbc Wrote: ^ The NBA is much closer to where it should be at than the NFL, that's for sure. But you have to remember, this is because of the player's union and collective bargaining agreement. The whole 'they are just putting a ball in a hoop, they shouldn't be paid so much' holds no weight since that money would just go into the owners' pockets. The owners and players negotiate how much they are paid because fans tune into the players. The owners realize the players are important and they need their star power to drive ticket sells, sell merch, tune in, etc.

Good point!  The players are the main reason we watch.  It is tricky comparing leagues because it's a completely different business model.  On one hand, the NFL has 4x more players to pay and they have 1/5th as many games to earn revenue  BUT they have stadiums that are 4x bigger and a monster TV contract.   Because they wear helmets and each player has less of an impact, lots of NFL fans root for the team whereas the NBA has done a great job of marketing their individual players.   These things and the preponderance of injuries in the NFL make it very difficult to compare them apples to apples.  

What makes the NFL so great is that every week matters so much.  What makes it tough is that a lot of teams are out of the picture by midseason so they rely on revenue share and TV because attendance/concessions/jersey sales drop.  Even when the bad teams hit a lull in the NBA, it's still fun to go see the stars from other teams play.  They just have a greater impact on the game.
[-] The following 2 users Like kt466's post:
  • whiteisright4bbc, Black19magic85