NBA Free agency
What are your guys thoughts on Isaiah Thomas signing that 1 year deal with the Nuggets? I honestly kind of think its ridiculous that this man was averaging 29 points per game before and is now getting paid 2 million. What will his role be like on the nuggets?
(07-13-2018, 11:46 AM)Richhomiequan Wrote: What are your guys thoughts on Isaiah Thomas signing that 1 year deal with the Nuggets? I honestly kind of think its ridiculous that this man was averaging 29 points per game before and is now getting paid 2 million. What will his role be like on the nuggets?

I think any GM that offers him more than 2 mill is a fucking lunatic.

The man has had a hip problem that required surgery and he's never been the same. To put it in perspective, he averaged 29 for the celtics in one season, but in the next season his season-high was 29 points. This year he failed to convert even 40% from the field, that is Lonzo Ball levels of low.

He doesn't play any defense and can't play off the ball. This was even when he was healthy.

He needed yet another hip surgery this march.

He's proven to be a malcontent and a cancerous pest.

The guy fell a long way, but partially because of his own attitude.

His role will be to provide some points, but the minute the Nuggets find out he can't convert those shots consistently it's buh-bye.
(07-13-2018, 11:46 AM)Richhomiequan Wrote: What are your guys thoughts on Isaiah Thomas signing that 1 year deal with the Nuggets? I honestly kind of think its ridiculous that this man was averaging 29 points per game before and is now getting paid 2 million. What will his role be like on the nuggets?

He had some really bad luck with the timing of the injury and missed out on a lot of money, but the team made the right choice. You also have to rethink how you look at players' loyalty to a franchise, though, after that. Players should just try to get as much money as they can when they can because that can happen to anyone. It's a pretty sad story, especially his sister being murdered right before. Then he gets traded to a horrible situation, having to play with a ball-dominant stadpadder where he got thrown under the bus at the first opportunity and painted in a bad light by the media who has a bizarre infatuation with said manufactured superstar. Lakers situation wasn't much better either, having to play behind a historically bad player who's father conned the team into drafting him. He hasn't really been given a chance to show if he's still got it and probably never will, unfortunately.
[Image: 7p10mnlqnzhmwpza.gif]
(07-13-2018, 03:55 PM)whiteisright4bbc Wrote: He had some really bad luck with the timing of the injury and missed out on a lot of money, but the team made the right choice. You also have to rethink how you look at players' loyalty to a franchise, though, after that. Players should just try to get as much money as they can when they can because that can happen to anyone.

I wonder if Kawhi was like "I saw what happened to Isaiah when he tried to play through injury. . . pass."
[-] The following 1 user Likes btsstuff's post:
  • kcjones
^ That was a weird situation. Kawhi was cleared to return, but didn't feel ready. In hindsight, the Spurs organization should of just swallowed their pride and let him come back when he was fully ready. And apparently Parker's statement of, "My injury was 100x times worse," was the last straw, so he should of probably kept his mouth shut as well (especially when he has a history of not being the best teammate in the past).
(07-14-2018, 03:39 PM)whiteisright4bbc Wrote: ^ That was a weird situation. Kawhi was cleared to return, but didn't feel ready. In hindsight, the Spurs organization should of just swallowed their pride and let him come back when he was fully ready. And apparently Parker's statement of, "My injury was 100x times worse," was the last straw, so he should of probably kept his mouth shut as well (especially when he has a history of not being the best teammate in the past).

He didn't have confidence in Spurs docs. They cleared once too early and he reinjured something.
The player knows his body the best and if he doesn't feel ready, he shouldn't play.
Too many players play with pain and take injections, but it has negative effects on your body. It increases chances of injuries and can affect your life when you're older.
I commend Kawhi choosing for himself, but he and his people need to communicate better because Spurs is winning the media game
^ Yeah, I agree that in hindsight the Spurs office made a bad decision and that the player knows their body (for the most part). Kawhi's communication did seem bad as well, so that painted him in a bad light a bit and made him seem like a malcontent. I would argue, though, that while the Spurs made the wrong decision and should of let Kawhi come back when he was ready, there are situations where players actually sit out too long like Derrick Rose where he would break a nail and sit out for the rest of the season. This destroyed his reputation after a while and he became fiercely hated in Chicago.
(07-15-2018, 05:52 PM)whiteisright4bbc Wrote: ^ Yeah, I agree that in hindsight the Spurs office made a bad decision and that the player knows their body (for the most part). Kawhi's communication did seem bad as well, so that painted him in a bad light a bit and made him seem like a malcontent. I would argue, though, that while the Spurs made the wrong decision and should of let Kawhi come back when he was ready, there are situations where players actually sit out too long like Derrick Rose where he would break a nail and sit out for the rest of the season. This destroyed his reputation after a while and he became fiercely hated in Chicago.
It's crazy because the Spurs are such a good organization and their coach is very player friendly.  It's a tough battle for Kawhi to win.  A situation where there are no winners...
Apparently he's with the Raptors now, DeMar DeRozan to the Spurs. About as good of a deal as the Spurs could of got given Kawhi's trade value after demanding the Lakers.
That trade was interesting. I am not sure there are any true winners here. If DeMar can get past the trade, he probably ends up the best with a good coach, fan base and a team with a history of winning. Kawhi is in a whole different world for at least a year. Unlike Paul George with the Thunder, I can't see Kawhi resigning in Canada. He can go to the Lakers next year, but this will be a tough year for him mentally.