Book recommendations
I'm an avid reader. I aim to read at least 40 books a year. I predominately read fiction and am always on the lookout for new books.
Historical fiction, mysteries, thrillers, and sci-fi are the books I read the most. I hope that we can share a lot of book recommendations with each other. (if you want me to make a longer list of recommendations, I can, but I want others to add their own.

One of my favorite books series is from Greg Iles.

Penn Cage novels by Greg Iles.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/44237-penn-cage

It's about a lawyer returning home to Mississippi. The book is about the South, racism now and then.
The consequences of actions in the past in the present. 

I don't want to give away too much. But Greg Iles is a wonderful writer.
The only critique is that the protagonist a white man but there strong black characters in the series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Black19magic85's post:
  • Chessmaster
Anybody got any recommendations for someone who likes the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series. I like some fantasy, just not the tolkienian sort. Most fantasy, tolkienan or not, seem to be a bit too nerdy for me. Not judging just no into talking dragons and stuff.
(07-12-2018, 02:49 PM)Malile Wrote: Anybody got any recommendations for someone who likes the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series. I like some fantasy, just not the tolkienian sort. Most fantasy, tolkienan or not, seem to be a bit too nerdy for me. Not judging just no into talking dragons and stuff.

Have you considered the Song of Shattered Sands by Bradley Beaulieu?
^ Ive actually had it on bookmarked for a while, but it seems a bit too high fantasy for me. I might give it a try anyway. Im currently trying to work my way through the first books of the Felix Castor and Dresden Files series, but cant seem to get into any of them. Im also open to non fiction in general.
(07-12-2018, 03:35 PM)Malile Wrote: ^ Ive actually had it on bookmarked for a while, but it seems a bit too high fantasy for me. I might give it a try anyway. Im currently trying to work my way through the first books of the Felix Castor and Dresden Files series, but cant seem to get into any of them. Im also open to non fiction in general.

Do you know the Checquy Files Series from David O'Malley? It's supernatural and deals with powers but it's not too much fantasy and set in the real world.
(07-12-2018, 03:35 PM)Malile Wrote: ^ Ive actually had it on bookmarked for a while, but it seems a bit too high fantasy for me. I might give it a try anyway. Im currently trying to work my way through the first books of the Felix Castor and Dresden Files series, but cant seem to get into any of them. Im also open to non fiction in general.

Have you read anything by David Baldacci? I really like his Will Robie series.
I love to read as well. I gravitate towards murder/mystery, historical fiction, detective/avenger, military fiction and romance. Yes romance!!! Sanders, Patterson, Deaver, Atkins, Burke, Conelly, Child, Crais, Mosley, Sandford, Camacho, Dickey, Greer, Hardwick, Pelecanos, Bond, Lescroart, Clancy, Flynn, Forsyth and Le Carre are my guys.

I recently finished the GOT series, crazy long but so, so good. Currently I'm reading the Hap & Leonard series, authored by Joe Lansdale, while alternating an interracial or black romance book to keep things fresh.

I use the Goodreads app in order to track what I read, as well a participating in their Readers Challenge every year. It also has reviews and buying options.
(07-12-2018, 06:26 PM)bmw999 Wrote: I love to read as well. I gravitate towards murder/mystery, historical fiction, detective/avenger, military fiction and romance. Yes romance!!! Sanders, Patterson, Deaver, Atkins, Burke, Conelly, Child, Crais, Mosley, Sandford, Camacho, Dickey, Greer, Hardwick, Pelecanos, Bond, Lescroart, Clancy, Flynn, Forsyth and Le Carre are my guys.

I recently finished the GOT series, crazy long but so, so good. Currently I'm reading the Hap & Leonard series, authored by Joe Lansdale, while alternating an interracial or black romance book to keep things fresh.

I use the Goodreads app in order to track what I read, as well a participating in their Readers Challenge every year. It also has reviews and buying options.

I read a lot of the same authors. Harry Bosch is one of my favorite series and I'm waiting for the new Quinn Colson book from Atkins.

I liked the game of thrones series. The few first books are much better than his last ones. They drag too much. I have no hope of him finishing the series before he dies.

Have you read Terry Hayes ‘I am Pilgrim’. It's an amazing book and is well reviewed.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1814...earch=true

You should check out Brian Haig's books. It's up your alley.
Thanks, I will. Atkins was a revelation for me. I discovered him only because of him continuing the Spenser series after my all time fave Robert B. Parker passed away. I live for Spenser, with a "s", and Hawk.

I agree on Thrones. GRRM has no desire to finish, so I suppose HBO writers will do it for him, with their bull**** last season of 6-8 eps.

Have you checked out Bosch on Amazon Prime? Good stuff.
(07-12-2018, 08:47 PM)bmw999 Wrote: Thanks, I will. Atkins was a revelation for me. I discovered him only because of him continuing the Spenser series after my all time fave Robert B. Parker passed away. I live for Spenser, with a "s", and Hawk.

I agree on Thrones. GRRM has no desire to finish, so I suppose HBO writers will do it for him, with their bull**** last season of 6-8 eps.

Have you checked out Bosch on Amazon Prime? Good stuff.

I haven't the Spenser series yet. I will check it out. I'm now reading a book by Ken Liu, The Grace of Kings.

I binge Bosch every year. They stray a bit from the books while staying true the character and story.
It's one of my favorite series. The actor Titus Welliver is great as Bosch.