Poll: What are your religious leanings?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Atheist
56.76%
21 56.76%
Christian
18.92%
7 18.92%
Non-Christian/other
24.32%
9 24.32%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How Many of You Are Atheist or Non Christian?
(01-08-2019, 10:13 AM)kcjones Wrote: The problem with social science is that many social experiments aren't reproduced, so peer review is the gold standard.  There isn't even a standard for how many peers need to review a study/paper.  Is it two peers or ten?  

I really believe you guys need to research "Conflict Thesis".  The continued belief in conflict thesis is similar to how the average Joe Blow still thinks people in the 15th century believed the earth was flat, despite historical evidence going back as far as 600 BCE that people thought the earth was round.

It's funny that most people who refute the idea happen to be Americans with a religious background. This shits fucking whack.  It's just bizarre to me that theres 2 different types of truth apparently, religious AND scientific? Theres an endless cycle of indoctrination and its harmful. Some of the statements from actual scientific groups make sense, like why the fuck are children still being taught creationism? Everyone has room for spirituality and their interpretation of the meaning and purpose of life, thats a whole different kettle of fish but religion is archaic and backwards, period.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Faeginn's post:
  • DataNerd
No! "Conflict Theory" is no longer accepted amongst scientific historians. Science itself doesn't offer a single truth, its offers quantifiable, verifiable, and documented observations that may or may not change when better evidence is presented (ie Darwinism, Modern Synthesis, & Integral Model, etc). Unless you think the vast majority of scientists are atheists, there's no legitimate reason to believe in such a dichotomy.

Ever looked into String Theory? It uses plenty of metaphors that come straight from religion. Is there really a difference between a spirit realm and an alternate universe/dimension?
[-] The following 1 user Likes kcjones's post:
  • Splinter
Photo 
[Image: CreamyIllinformedKittiwake-size_restricted.gif]
I'm black and athiest. I have to say I'm pretty shocked by the results. I was expecting it to be majority Christian. I can probably count on my left had the number of black athiests that I know. I have a feeling the title of this post is skewing the poll. Bible thumpers probably glossed over it.
[Image: bVFGfNTV_o.gif]
[Image: iGX5G6xN_o.jpg]
I'm also the rare black atheist, and by atheist I mean the real definition — not the feminazi/politically hijacked variety. I have a *lack of belief* in any kind of deity, and the burden of empirical proof always rests on those who make the claim.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maxis's post:
  • Theo Younf
(01-03-2019, 12:40 PM)Shotgun Styles Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 11:08 AM)kcjones Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 10:09 PM)Marko Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 09:50 PM)Shotgun Styles Wrote: My father is a scientific Atheist and raised me in that mode. He said something when I was young that has always disturbed me: what if our entire galaxy is just some kid's science project? What to us is billions of years, is just the first 3 days of a one week assignment.

The ending of Men In Black alludes to this idea a bit. The reality is this: we have no idea, and no way to find out.

true. Hopefully religion won't obstruct our search to someday finding out .

This is one of the biggest fallacies.  Religion has done far more to foster science than fight it. A large portion of universities in the US were started by religious organizations.  Hell, Harvard originally was started to train protestant clergy.

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I don't know where to begin. Galileo himself was prosecuted for heresy and convicted. Everything from the Scopes trial to attempts to ban stem cell research, religion (particularly Western Christianity) has steadfastly stood in the way of scientific progress.

You need to spend more time on your history. You could not possibly be more wrong even if you'd said the moon was made of green cheese.

This could actually be a good thread for a debate.
Vaginas are for making babies and love. Buttholes are for making sex...
[Image: charity-crawford-julesjordan-interracial-sex-scene.gif]
So all you heathenous bastards. Does your lack in faith affect your dating? Chicks are usually cool until I tell them I deny the holy ghost and then it all goes downhill from there.