YOUNG GUNS/COACHES COMBO
I was thinking about all the new QBs and the rapid decline of former studs like RGIII, Luck and Dak.  Who are you picking to have the longest/best fun of the current crop of players.  

I am picking Goff/McVay and The Mahomes/Reid as my first two.  I think Mahomes is better, but I also think McVay gives Goff and advantage.  

Anyone else want to weigh in?
I just feel like the Rams and Chiefs are on a Super Bowl collision course. I really do. But I've been wrong before.

As much as I hate to say this, I think Baker Mayfield is very promising. Hue is a very good coach, though not young. If they stay together, and that young defense stays healthy, they could be perennial contenders for some time to come.

I like Darnold and I think he's going to save Todd Bowles' job. If they can put some defense in NY, it's a crap division outside of NE. And Tom is old. They could be the future of the NFC East.
White Girl Connoisseur
[Image: OxvA.gif]
McVay & Goff. Goff was horrendous when he first came in.

Fuck Dan Snyder and most of all Bruce Allen for letting McVay walk and deciding to keep Gruden instead. Offense hasn't been the same since he left.
[Image: 31288248488_b40db8d781_o.gif]
(10-11-2018, 08:15 PM)iramaj Wrote: McVay & Goff.  Goff was horrendous when he first came in.

Fuck Dan Snyder and most of all Bruce Allen for letting McVay walk and deciding to keep Gruden instead. Offense hasn't been the same since he left.

It would have been the least NFl- BOLDEST, BEST move every to fire Gruden and hire McVay.   That's the kind of guts that folks just don't have anymore.  The NFL is to big business.  Meanwhile, Gruden can't get his team to prepare even after a bye week.  

To you earlier point about Goff, boy did McVay expose (for the hundredth time) how bad Jeff Fisher was.
I'd be here all day talking about Jeff Fisher.

Tied for most losses all time. Ruined 3 potential hall of fame players with horrible scheme: Eddie George, Steve McNair, Javon Kearse.

Tried to play tough guy with his players and was considered a joke in the locker room.

Couldn't get ANYTHING out of Goff, who turned out to be the real thing.

Fisher is garbage.
White Girl Connoisseur
[Image: OxvA.gif]
Mason Rudolph and Mike Tomlin.
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes btsstuff's post:
  • Shotgun Styles
Friends -

"Stud"?  RGIII?

I don't think I can buy that one.  To me that guy was the ultimate flash in the pan, one hit wonder, NFL quarterback.  I thought he was reasonably talented, but I just don't think he was physically capable to standing up to the rigors of the NFL over a career.  A lot of guys can be very successful runnin' spread offenses in college when you have lots of room to run and throw, and when you are always the best player\athlete on the field over 11 or 12 games   But when you transition to the NFL, those skills are fine but you also have to possess the toughness, mentally and physically, to take the constant pounding that quarterbacking in the NFL requires.  Specific injuries aside, I just don't think RGIII was ever gonna be physically up to that. 

On topic, I'm an Eagles guy, so I'm obviously appreciating what Carson Wentz is doing, but I think that he and Patrick Mahomes are succeeding more on individual talent and ability at this point.  Doug Peterson and Andy Reid have both been great with mentoring those two and playing to their strengths, but I still think it's Wentz' and Mahome's innate abilities that reality set them apart.  Same with the small sample we've seen of Mayfield who looks like the goods.

I think the Goff\McVay development and success is more along the lines of the way the Drew Brees|Sean Payton marriage has worked over the past decade.  The quarterback on his own or in a different setting might not have flourished the way he has, but growing together with a like minded offensive head coach really allows them to reach full potential.

I'm waiting to see what a full season looks like for Mitchell Trubisky and DeShaun Watson, (if they both make it that far), but I think the young QBs that are most under the gun over the next couple of years are Marcus Mariota, Derek Carr. and Jameis Winston.  They are all about four years in now, all have been starting for awhile and should be entering primes, and it's getting close to the time where we see if these guys are next level or not.

Almost all the other quarterbacks in the NFL, young and old, we pretty much know what we have.  Ceptin' maybe Garoppolo who got hurt just when we were gonna find out.

BSD
(10-12-2018, 01:25 PM)BSD Wrote: Friends -

"Stud"?  RGIII?

I don't think I can buy that one.  To me that guy was the ultimate flash in the pan, one hit wonder, NFL quarterback.  I thought he was reasonably talented, but I just don't think he was physically capable to standing up to the rigors of the NFL over a career.  A lot of guys can be very successful runnin' spread offenses in college when you have lots of room to run and throw, and when you are always the best player\athlete on the field over 11 or 12 games   But when you transition to the NFL, those skills are fine but you also have to possess the toughness, mentally and physically, to take the constant pounding that quarterbacking in the NFL requires.  Specific injuries aside, I just don't think RGIII was ever gonna be physically up to that. 

On topic, I'm an Eagles guy, so I'm obviously appreciating what Carson Wentz is doing, but I think that he and Patrick Mahomes are succeeding more on individual talent and ability at this point.  Doug Peterson and Andy Reid have both been great with mentoring those two and playing to their strengths, but I still think it's Wentz' and Mahome's innate abilities that reality set them apart.  Same with the small sample we've seen of Mayfield who looks like the goods.

I think the Goff\McVay development and success is more along the lines of the way the Drew Brees|Sean Payton marriage has worked over the past decade.  The quarterback on his own or in a different setting might not have flourished the way he has, but growing together with a like minded offensive head coach really allows them to reach full potential.

I'm waiting to see what a full season looks like for Mitchell Trubisky and DeShaun Watson, (if they both make it that far), but I think the young QBs that are most under the gun over the next couple of years are Marcus Mariota, Derek Carr. and Jameis Winston.  They are all about four years in now, all have been starting for awhile and should be entering primes, and it's getting close to the time where we see if these guys are next level or not.

Almost all the other quarterbacks in the NFL, young and old, we pretty much know what we have.  Ceptin' maybe Garoppolo who got hurt just when we were gonna find out.

BSD

Like him or not, RGIII had the best rookie season ever for a QB and took a 3-6 team and won out to make the playoffs.  Then they were up 14-0 at home when he got hurt.  It hasn't worked out for him since then, mostly from his own doing, and the dysfunction in the Redskins front office,but he was insanely good for an entire season.   The 30 for 30 on him will be incredible.