Cyntoia Brown to be release from jail
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-...e-governor

Quote:Cyntoia Brown on Monday was granted clemency by Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam ®, according to The Tennessean.

Brown, who said she was forced into sex trafficking as a teenager, was sentenced to life in prison for killing a man when she was 16 years old.

She will be eligible for release from prison in August on time served and will be on parole for 10 years.

“Cyntoia Brown committed, by her own admission, a horrific crime at the age of 16," Haslam said in a statement. "Yet, imposing a life sentence on a juvenile that would require her to serve at least 51 years before even being eligible for parole consideration is too harsh, especially in light of the extraordinary steps Ms. Brown has taken to rebuild her life.”

Brown admitted to killing 43-year-old Johnny Mitchell Allan after repeatedly denying his advances. She said she shot and killed him after she believed he was reaching for a gun. Forensic evidence suggested that she shot Allan in the head while he was sleeping.

She was tried as an adult, found guilty and sentenced to life in prison in 2006.

In December, the Tennessee Supreme Court denied her appeal and said she must serve at least 51 years before becoming eligible for release.

Haslam’s decision comes as one of his last acts in office. He will exit his role as governor later this month, with Gov.-elect Bill Lee ® set to take over the role on Jan. 19.

Brown thanked Haslam for his “act of mercy” in a statement sent out by her lawyers.

"With God's help, I am committed to live the rest of my life helping others, especially young people. My hope is to help other young girls avoid ending up where I have been,” the statement read.

Brown’s case had gained national attention, with celebrities and criminal justice reform advocates calling for her pardon.

Hollywood stars such as Rihanna and Kim Kardashian West took to social media to voice their displeasure with Brown’s sentence.

As part of Brown’s pardon, she will be required to attend regular counseling sessions, get a job and perform at least 50 hours of community service, including work with at-risk youth.

During her time in prison, Brown completed her GED and received a college degree.
[Image: 20404251.gif]
Was thinking about making a thread about this myself. On the one hand she killed the guy and thus he can't defend himself against the accusations, but regardless, she was still a minor and the law went apeshit on her. Especially when you see actual 18+ yo rapists get a slap on the wrist because they "have their whole lives ahead of them". 

By contrast, an underage prostitute girl (who can't legally consent and is legally being raped/assaulted) shoots a guy (legally self-defense), whom had loaded weapons within arms reach and whom  allegedly threatened her life, but she gets tried as an adult and given life (with no possibility for parole right?). Again, he can't refute claims or add his side of the story, but legally speaking, that's a pretty damning predicament.  And then there's the obvious, if the races were reversed she probably would've never been locked away for so long, if at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spops53190's post:
  • kcjones
(01-07-2019, 01:59 PM)Spops53190 Wrote: Was thinking about making a thread about this myself. On the one hand she killed the guy and thus he can't defend himself against the accusations, but regardless, she was still a minor and the law went apeshit on her. Especially when you see actual 18+ yo rapists get a slap on the wrist because they "have their whole lives ahead of them". 

By contrast, an underage prostitute girl (who can't legally consent and is legally being raped/assaulted) shoots a guy (legally self-defense), whom had loaded weapons within arms reach and whom  allegedly threatened her life, but she gets tried as an adult and given life (with no possibility for parole right?). Again, he can't refute claims or add his side of the story, but legally speaking, that's a pretty damning predicament.  And then there's the obvious, if the races were reversed she probably would've never been locked away for so long, if at all.

I think the problem here isn't any alleged extenuating circumstances, but the faulty sentencing which is rampant in the Red State South. 15 years should have been her sentence in the first place. I think everyone could have looked at that and been fine with it.

Hopefully she does something constructive with her second chance.
White Girl Connoisseur

The big problem is this false sense of being "tough on crime". State Legislators supposedly think they're doing the right thing by locking away teens for life when what they need is treatment and counseling. But what really happens is what you see here in this case. How many other Cyntoia's are their locked in prison for the rest of their lives?
The reason for the sentencing is in the details, she wasn't truthful about the circumstances of the killing (she says he reached for a gun, but the evidence says he was asleep) if she had said from the start that she was so traumatized from constant abuse that she snapped she probably would have gotten a more sympathetic sentence. When you lie or cover up the truth courts will most likely throw the book at you.
Its a tough case to look at. Johnny Allen's family is making him out to be a good Samaritan, who was looking to help Cyntoia turn her life around. So Johnny picks up a girl off the street, takes her to his home, and goes to bed with her in the nude, but has no sexual contact? I guess that's the Christian thing to do. Cyntoia appears to have shot him in his sleep, took his car, his money, and some of his guns, and goes back to her pimp boyfriend. Some facts are clearly missing. I'm thankful I was not a juror on that case.