external hard drives
im in need of a new external hard drive. i have a few older ones but want to condense them into one big one maybe 2-5 TB. I would appreciate any input from members who are familiar with hard drives that could point me in the direction of some quality but not too pricey options.
As long as you don't get a Seagate, you're alright. I've been burned three times by Seagate products. 1st time, I had lots of personal stuff lost. Then they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg just to get everything back. 2nd time, I was lucky to have Carbonite to back me up. 3rd time was at work and I had no choice. I said never again.
[-] The following 2 users Like poohbear's post:
  • hughes, kcjones
External Hard Drives are getting cheaper. I would go for a 4 or 6 TB powered external hard drive. I have a Western Digital. Been using it for years. USB powered drives are also getting more reliable, but I would still go with the bulkier powered drives.
[-] The following 2 users Like RickTheDick's post:
  • simonphoenix, hughes
Backblaze is a cloud storage backup service that uses tens of thousands of commercially available drives from different companies. Every year they publish their failure rates on various companies.

And yeah, Seagate is the worst.
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like btsstuff's post:
  • hughes, tox20
(02-22-2019, 07:19 PM)RickTheDick Wrote: External Hard Drives are getting cheaper.  I would go for a 4 or 6 TB powered external hard drive.  I have a Western Digital.  Been using it for years.  USB powered drives are also getting more reliable, but I would still go with the bulkier powered drives.

Yeah, Western Digital are the only ones I trust, but mainly the full-sized ones. The portable ones that are USB-powered are sometimes fragile and not as good as the full-sized ones. I was lucky enough to get an 8TB WD for $149 at Best Buy. You wouldn't believe how fast those 2TB drives fill up!

And i agree about Seagate---their drives are awful! I lost one (2TB) just suddenly and another is dying a slow death... The only other brand that I was happy with was a Toshiba 4TB, which unfortunately "mysteriously disappeared"...

The first external HD I bought was a Maxtor One Touch 300 GB. I think I paid about 70 or 80 bucks for that, and for the same amount, I can get a 1 or 2 TB HD nowadays---amazing...
[Image: 8lUyNaHd_o.gif]
Congrats to Mariano Rivera on becoming the first unanimous MLB Hall Of Fame inductee in baseball history! A well-deserved honor and it couldn't have happened to a classier ballplayer. Congrats Mo---the greatest closer of all-time!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoss5973's post:
  • hughes
I have 2 NAS devices with RAID redundancy. I had one HD go bad on my first NAS but lost zero data. I would check backbaze and get an eclosure/NAS with RAID if I were you. I'm actually looking at a cloud based alternative since external harddrive doesn't protect against theft, fire, flood etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tox20's post:
  • hughes
+1 on western digital. Seagate drives tend to fail, at least for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nemsem's post:
  • hughes
External western digital HHDs are good however, don't rely on them so much.
I had a WD 3TB hhd working well for about 2yrs (never dropped it) just recently died for no reason.

If you're getting any HHDs (aka spinners) I would suggest not to use the drive's full capacity, I would say only about 90-95%

Luckily for me, I was able to revive my 3TB WD for a few more days
(all I did was drop it on the floor a couple of times, go figure) Big Grin 
enough time for me to backup all my data before my hdd completely died.

Anyways, I'm done with spinners. I'll be switching to SSDs (Solid State Drive) as my HDDs start to fail.
[Image: iGX5G6xN_o.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Marko's post:
  • hughes, nemsem
(02-28-2019, 08:06 PM)Marko Wrote: External western digital HHDs are good however, don't rely on them so much.
I had a WD 3TB hhd working well for about 2yrs (never dropped it) just recently died for no reason.

If you're getting any HHDs (aka spinners) I would suggest not to use the drive's full capacity, I would say only about 90-95%

Luckily for me, I was able to revive my 3TB WD for a few more days
(all I did was drop it on the floor a couple of times, go figure) Big Grin 
enough time for me to backup all my data before my hdd completely died.

Anyways, I'm done with spinners. I'll be switching to SSDs (Solid State Drive) as my HDDs start to fail.
You are very lucky to have revived it. I dropped my Fantom external hard drive a few years ago and lost a lot of important stuff on it. I know better now and keep multiple backups.