New Zealand took 3 days to ban assault rifles. Here's how long it took the US to act
I saw this video and found it intriguing.  Idris Elba makes a PSA about the knife violence problem in the UK (Don't worry its short).  Replace the word "Knife" with "Gun" and you would think it was a 1990s PSA from the US.  Just shows that folks will always find a weapon.  BTW, last year the mayor of London called for "Sharper Knife control"

(03-29-2019, 02:45 PM)kcjones Wrote: I saw this video and found it intriguing.  Idris Elba makes a PSA about the knife violence problem in the UK (Don't worry its short).  Replace the word "Knife" with "Gun" and you would think it was a 1990s PSA from the US.  Just shows that folks will always find a weapon.  BTW, last year the mayor of London called for "Sharper Knife control"

Not really. 

Nowhere in here did he say anything about banning knives. He's just telling kids to stop stabbing each other, and that's a message I think we can all get on board with.
White Girl Connoisseur

When Shotgun said any anti-gun policy would be weaponized against black folks, that should've been the end of this debate. Most, if not all, laws are disproportionately enforced against minorities, and you KNOW they'd roll MRAPs into the hood to get a Hi-Point from Jamal, but Cletus and Billy Bob out in the sticks are gonna have their virtual armory go completely untouched.

Philosophically, I believe every black person should be proficient in the usage of firearms and should also have more than one in their home. Men, women, old, young, I don't care if you have a felony and you can't get a weapon legally. We all know there are ways around that minor impediment, in addition to the fact that most felonies shouldn't be disqualifying as far as gun rights are concerned, imo. Get a weapon and a decent supply of ammunition, train hard in its safe usage and upkeep, and be ready to use it whenever the need arises. Not to bust out the cliche, but I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. There are too many scenarios in which a tool like a well maintained weapon could literally mean the difference between living and dying for them to be ignored or vilified.
[-] The following 2 users Like thatonebigdude's post:
  • ChuckG1, Shotgun Styles
(04-03-2019, 05:18 PM)thatonebigdude Wrote: When Shotgun said any anti-gun policy would be weaponized against black folks, that should've been the end of this debate. Most, if not all, laws are disproportionately enforced against minorities, and you KNOW they'd roll MRAPs into the hood to get a Hi-Point from Jamal, but Cletus and Billy Bob out in the sticks are gonna have their virtual armory go completely untouched.

Philosophically, I believe every black person should be proficient in the usage of firearms and should also have more than one in their home. Men, women, old, young, I don't care if you have a felony and you can't get a weapon legally. We all know there are ways around that minor impediment, in addition to the fact that most felonies shouldn't be disqualifying as far as gun rights are concerned, imo. Get a weapon and a decent supply of ammunition, train hard in its safe usage and upkeep, and be ready to use it whenever the need arises. Not to bust out the cliche, but I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. There are too many scenarios in which a tool like a well maintained weapon could literally mean the difference between living and dying for them to be ignored or vilified.

Plus rep for you.

I'm against people being felons for life. I think your record should be wiped 7 years after your release if you stay clear of the law.
White Girl Connoisseur

(03-22-2019, 11:39 AM)Shotgun Styles Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 02:48 AM)marvy Wrote: Saying that the street is already flooded is not a good excuse not to fix the hydrant.

In many cases, these killers have bought their arsenals from stores after they already had their plan set. Reducing the number of legitimate ways they can amass their stockpiles could make it more likely they get discouraged from their plan to kill innocent people.

Additionally, we'd need  strong rules/documentation for ownership transferal and emphasize the pentalties of your registered guns being used by another person in a crime, unless reported stolen.

I know that handguns will never be banned here, but I like our collective chances against pistols in similar incidents over assault rifles any day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co...death_rate

If you list by homicide, we're 15th. And every one of the countries above us has FAR more strict gun laws than we do. So no, gun control does not work. It disarms law abiding citizens, but not criminals. Because criminals don't follow the law. That's what makes them criminals in the first place.

So none of that shit is going to make a difference. Also, who do you think the cops are going to go after for these gun violations? The good white folk in their own communities? Or does it become yet another excuse to run down and harass Blacks just as drug prohibition has been? You're handing cops a free license to harass "sir, I need to check your person, vehicle, home for illegal weapons".

The policies you proposed will be weaponized against us.

(03-22-2019, 06:07 AM)wd40isabadmf Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 12:28 AM)Shotgun Styles Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 11:57 PM)ChuckG1 Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/21/us/new-ze...index.html

Gun Control, like drug prohibition, is a failed policy. It will not work in the United States.

We have 98% gun saturation in the US. Even if you banned firearms, which the Constitution prevents, there are too many guns in circulation to prevent shootings. Gun Control band aids seem to do little to curb gun violence in places like Chicago.

This is not Britain. This is not Japan. This is not Australia. Gun Control will not work here.

Most of the individual/mass shootings stems from people who slid through the loopholes. Fixing that would reduce an incredible amount of shootings. Not even new laws, just actually enforcing the existing law would bring about it. Horrid stories like someone ordered a gun and received it before the place that sold him the gun received verification that this person has either a violent history or is mentally ill.

Gun control doesn't score that high with me, tbh, common sense does however. As for assault rifles, fuck that, no civilian should have military weapons. The civilian police neither, for that matter. A SWAT team/DEA or something similar is again common sense to me that they do have such weapons.

Actually, most of the gun violence in America is tied to drug prohibition and gang violence. Ending drug prohibition would put a huge dent in the gun violence. Looking at the chart I posted above, all of the countries with higher gun violence than ours share the same problems we do: massive wealth inequality, drug prohibition, poverty on a mass scale. These are the things that drive gun violence, not the mere presence of guns.

And again: this is not Japan. Rounding up guns is a non starter. It would be impossible to implement such a policy. It's vaporware. So "assault weapons" however you choose to define that term, are here to stay.

Most, if not all those countries above the USA are developing countries with rampant corruption. Law enforcement in Jamaica is a huge joke compared to the USA, as but one example. You have gun men who go shoot up police stations (located in the garrison areas) there to force the release their gang leader/area don. And the police tuck their tails between their legs and let them go. Some of the gun men may even be tied to politicians and rarely get apprehended or prosecuted. Guns remain on the street. And those guns are smuggled into the country from the USA.

If Jamaica has strict gun laws, not one person there is enforcing them. Well, not since I last checked. I can't imagine the other countries on the list, suffering from rampant corruption, being any better. You're talking about a place where a guy gets deported from the USA one day, and the next week he is back on a plane clearing US immigration with a newly purchased passport and identity. Guns the same way. Gun shops there? Nope. Street purchases or smuggled in either from the USA or on a boat coming from the south from Colombia with some coke, on it's way to the states. The gun remains.

It's better to compare the USA with similar countries. You know, the wealthy, first world ones - Canada, France, Germany etc etc. Not proverbial banana republics like Jamaica, Honduras, and the like.

Cuba was run by a tight enough ship in order to not be in line with the South American, Central American, and other Caribbean countries.
[-] The following 1 user Likes richiesvids's post:
  • tenley
(04-09-2019, 07:55 PM)richiesvids Wrote: Most, if not all those countries above the USA are developing countries with rampant corruption. Law enforcement in Jamaica is a huge joke compared to the USA, as but one example. You have gun men who go shoot up police stations (located in the garrison areas) there to force the release their gang leader/area don. And the police tuck their tails between their legs and let them go. Some of the gun men may even be tied to politicians and rarely get apprehended or prosecuted. Guns remain on the street. And those guns are smuggled into the country from the USA.

If Jamaica has strict gun laws, not one person there is enforcing them. Well, not since I last checked. I can't imagine the other countries on the list, suffering from rampant corruption, being any better. You're talking about a place where a guy gets deported from the USA one day, and the next week he is back on a plane clearing US immigration with a newly purchased passport and identity. Guns the same way. Gun shops there? Nope. Street purchases or smuggled in either from the USA or on a boat coming from the south from Colombia with some coke, on it's way to the states. The gun remains.

It's better to compare the USA with similar countries. You know, the wealthy, first world ones -  Canada, France, Germany etc etc. Not proverbial banana republics like Jamaica, Honduras, and the like.

Cuba was run by a tight enough ship in order to not be in line with the South American, Central American, and other Caribbean countries.

This is one of my absolute favorite, all time heavyweight champion, TOTAL BULLSHIT arguments.

First of all, Mexico and Brazil are not "Banana Republics". They are substantially sized economies with democratic rule. Brazil just impeached a sitting corrupt president and incarcerated a former one, something we haven't been able to do here. So right off the top, their democratic process is working better than ours in at least a few areas.

But the larger issue is the TOTAL BULLSHIT argument of "similar countries". Nigga, THERE ARE NONE. Which of those countries has a 2nd Amendment? Which of those countries has a powerful NRA? Which of those countries has America's gun culture? And which of these countries has a NINETY EIGHT PERCENT GUN SATURATION RATE

The truth is, both Brazil and Mexico are much more like the US in that the same things that drive gun violence there, do the same here: drug prohibition combined with massive economic inequality. This creates gangs, cartels, black markets, family dysfunction, mass incarceration, fatherless families and all the inevitably ensuing violence that those circumstances produce. 

The "countries like us" argument is literally the worst argument you can make because THERE ARE NO COUNTRIES LIKE US.
White Girl Connoisseur