AAF (Aliiance of American Football) to suspend operations
Well that was quick

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/...quetf6e6vl

Looks like Johnny Manziel would have to find another team to play.
At least they tried. Football is really the only sport I care about so I enjoyed it, whenever I remembered it was on. And Vinnie Mac is still trying to push the XFL.

But you know the players are some shit when Trent Richardson is dominating the league lmao
[Image: 33315423708_8f42136c99_o.gif]
(04-02-2019, 01:14 PM)iramaj Wrote: At least they tried.  Football is really the only sport I care about so I enjoyed it, whenever I remembered it was on.   And Vinnie Mac is still trying to push the XFL.

But you know the players are some shit when Trent Richardson is dominating the league lmao

I built a real business plan around this once and thought about pitching it. 

The AAF did almost everything wrong. Loser leagues have been tried. Arena ball, NFL Europe, "semi pro" leagues. And they all fail because you need casual fans to make a profit and casual fans don't want to watch losers and cast offs play football. 

Doing the analysis I realized that capitalization of a new league was key. You needed enough cash reserves to make payroll for 5 years. That way everyone in the talent pipeline sees you as an institution, and not as an experiment. A payroll for 24 teams, and about 1/3 the NFL average, came out to around $1 billion per year. Running the league will cost about that amount, so you figure $2 billion per for 5. So you'd need $10 billion in capitalized investment to start a league. Both the AAF and the upcoming XFL are both massively under capitalized at about $300 million each. 

Could it be done? Yes. But you'd have to have a lot of money and a visionary view to revolutionize the game. Nobody seems to have both those things. So I expect  this is the last of the AAF, and the new XFL will do no better next year. Vince is talking about grabbing college players early, which is a good idea, but recruiting them will be hard when they'll lose their eligibility betting on a risky venture that could fold at any time. 

So until someone with tremendous knowledge of the game AND Bezos money comes along, new leagues are a lost cause.
White Girl Connoisseur