TX cop shoots black woman as she screams that she's pregnant
TX Police fatal shooting

I saw this story and it made me think.  Remember when cops frequently used their batons or those long as Mag lights to make someone comply?  See any video of that recently, I haven't.  After the Rodney King and Malice Green incidents, I believe a cop is more likely to get fired for a physical altercation, than if they just shoot the person.  According to most state laws, a police officer only has to demonstrate that they feared for their life, to justifiably shooting someone.  Whether or not there was any real threat is of no consequence to the law.
(05-14-2019, 05:19 PM)kcjones Wrote: TX Police fatal shooting

I saw this story and it made me think.  Remember when cops frequently used their batons or those long as Mag lights to make someone comply?  See any video of that recently, I haven't.  After the Rodney King and Malice Green incidents, I believe a cop is more likely to get fired for a physical altercation, than if they just shoot the person.  According to most state laws, a police officer only has to demonstrate that they feared for their life, to justifiably shooting someone.  Whether or not there was any real threat is of no consequence to the law.

The use of the taser was probably excessive to start with.

She was indeed, not pregnant. That she would say such a thing speaks to her character.

I did not see her take the taser, but it's dark. If she did, the shooting is justified because a tased officer's gun could be taken.

This whole thing is a shit show. I hope justice is served, but need more evidence to know what that would be.
White Girl Connoisseur

I cant wait to learn what taser is issued by that department. I literally listened to a story about tasers on NPR this weekend. I also read that most departments issue single shot projectile units, so once you use it, it requires reloading. So if the cop ineffectively used it against her, which looks like he did from the video, it no longer posed any danger, unless her reloaded a new cartridge. I highly doubt he reloaded given the tussle in the video.
[-] The following 1 user Likes kcjones's post:
  • Ipay4
(05-14-2019, 06:00 PM)kcjones Wrote: I cant wait to learn what taser is issued by that department.  I literally listened to a story about tasers on NPR this weekend.  I also read that most departments issue single shot projectile units, so once you use it, it requires reloading.  So if the cop ineffectively used it against her, which looks like he did from the video, it no longer posed any danger, unless her reloaded a new cartridge.  I highly doubt he reloaded given the tussle in the video.

Many tasers have two functions: the projectile function and the contact function. 

You can only fire the projectile once. But the contact forks are still active after that. So if you can get close enough to touch them with the weapon itself, you can still taze them.
White Girl Connoisseur

[-] The following 1 user Likes Shotgun Styles's post:
  • kcjones
Pretty sure cop is lying, got pissed and killed her. Shooting is completely unjustified and she is clearly a person with mental illness. Where was his de-escalation? He did everything possible he was trained not to do and everything possible to make things worse. Where was his use of non-lethal force? He immediately jumped to the weapons because the woman was black. Why didn't he wait for backup, officers aren't even suppose to try to arrest people by themselves with no back-up.

When black cops shoot white criminals who are in trucks trying to run them over they go to jail for decades, but a white cop can get off shooting a little old lady 5 times in the face just because she is mentally ill and black.
(05-14-2019, 06:00 PM)kcjones Wrote: I cant wait to learn what taser is issued by that department.  I literally listened to a story about tasers on NPR this weekend.  I also read that most departments issue single shot projectile units, so once you use it, it requires reloading.  So if the cop ineffectively used it against her, which looks like he did from the video, it no longer posed any danger, unless her reloaded a new cartridge.  I highly doubt he reloaded given the tussle in the video.

If she could have tased him he wouldn't be able to get up and shoot her.  I think the charge still goes through to the nodes but it cannot re-shoot.
(05-16-2019, 01:30 AM)Ipay4 Wrote:

If she could have tased him he wouldn't be able to get up and shoot her.  I think the charge still goes through to the nodes but it cannot re-shoot.

Except if you re-watch the video, he clearly backs up several feet before he starts shooting.  If he could freely create space between himself and the woman, did the taser remain a threat, especially with the woman still on her back?

I get that cops have to make split second decisions and those decisions could easily go left.  My original point I wanted to make was, if he had stomped the lights out of that woman, the cop probably would have been fired from the force within a few days, but he shoots her and will probably keep his job.  Which outcome works best for the society? From what I know, the laws give cops more freedom to kill you, than to lay hands on you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes kcjones's post:
  • Ipay4
Look, I know pretty damn well myself that melee can be messy, let alone trying to peacefully apprehend someone resisting so much. But seeing this shit pisses me off- it's TOO sloppy.  WTF kind of training do these officers have? You got officers firing wildly when other officers/civilians are directly in line of fire, and you got dumb shit like this where an officer fumbles around and can't grab one woman and lay her ass down on her chest. Normally, I'd just say that people don't always perform perfectly, give the officer some slack, but I see myself saying that too much lately.

I get that things may have escalated before he could get backup, and I get that possibly- for some reason- he HAD to try to apprehend the woman and not let her get away. But if you're gonna fuck up this badly, missing tasers and then getting weapons stolen, causing you to shoot someone 4 or 5 times while stumbling backwards... Maybe don't even try. If a random civilian with presumably no training or skill can 1up you like this, you're in the wrong field. It's like asking someone to build a house and they don't know how, but try to anyways.

I walk back and forth on officers getting military training and operating more like the military every time I see this. Sure, it's DUMB AS FUCK to engage with officers the way the woman did, but two wrongs don't make a right, and the onus is on the authority here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spops's post:
  • Ipay4
(05-16-2019, 07:43 PM)Spops Wrote: Look, I know pretty damn well myself that melee can be messy, let alone trying to peacefully apprehend someone resisting so much. But seeing this shit pisses me off- it's TOO sloppy.  WTF kind of training do these officers have? You got officers firing wildly when other officers/civilians are directly in line of fire, and you got dumb shit like this where an officer fumbles around and can't grab one woman and lay her ass down on her chest. Normally, I'd just say that people don't always perform perfectly, give the officer some slack, but I see myself saying that too much lately.

I get that things may have escalated before he could get backup, and I get that possibly- for some reason- he HAD to try to apprehend the woman and not let her get away. But if you're gonna fuck up this badly, missing tasers and then getting weapons stolen, causing you to shoot someone 4 or 5 times while stumbling backwards... Maybe don't even try. If a random civilian with presumably no training or skill can 1up you like this, you're in the wrong field. It's like asking someone to build a house and they don't know how, but try to anyways.

I walk back and forth on officers getting military training and operating more like the military every time I see this. Sure, it's DUMB AS FUCK to engage with officers the way the woman did, but two wrongs don't make a right, and the onus is on the authority here.

His first mistake was not waiting for backup. He assumed he could just take her down because she was a woman. 

He didn't protect his non-lethal weapon and it got taken. That's entirely on him. Had he waited for backup instead of going straight for the taser, this could have ended peacefully. 

Cops can lie. So lie. Tell her "I don't think we have to take you in for this, lets just talk to my partner when he gets here." Keep her calm. De-escalate. When backup arrives you surround her and take her down easily. 

Having said all that: you go for the cop's gun or stick and it's your ass. I can't fault a cop for shooting you when you have the ability to kill or incapacitate him. I don't like it, but the more comes out about this bitch the more I think she had it coming.
White Girl Connoisseur

[-] The following 1 user Likes Shotgun Styles's post:
  • Spops
They are now saying the woman was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic in 2005. The cop and the woman lived in the same apartment complex, and are purported to have had several run ins in the past. This whole situation is getting messy.