Hoss' RIP Thread
[Image: bubba-smith-1.jpg]
Charles Aaron "Bubba" Smith (1945-2011): NFL (1967-1976; Colts, Raiders & Oilers); Moses Hightower in "Police Academy" movies; Miller Lite commercials. R.I.P. Bubba Smith
I am not, and never will be a Mets fan, but I had much respect for "The Kid", Gary Carter. He played the game hard, and played it the right way. R.I.P., Gary Carter...

[Image: gary-carter-tx1-1.jpg]
Gary Edmund Carter (1954-2012), a Hall of Fame MLB catcher with the Expos, Mets, Dodgers & Giants, died Thursday, Feb 16th 2012, after a battle with brain cancer. He was 57 years old. Among his career accomplishments, Carter was an 11-time All-Star; a 5-time Silver Slugger Award winner; 3-time Gold-Glove Winner; 2-time All-Star Game MVP; and a World Series winner with the Mets in 1986.

Although Carter is mostly remembered for his 5 years with the Mets, he actually spent the first 11 years of his MLB career with the Montreal Expos, where he established himself as one of the top catchers in the majors. Carter is survived by his wife, Sandy, 3 children and 3 grandchildren.
Career stats: .262 BA/324 HR/1225 RBI/1025 R/.439 SLG/.773 OPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U98kgkECAQ
There's been so many recent passings, I haven't been able to keep up. But now, I'd like to take this time to acknowledge the passings of the following people:

[Image: maurice_sendak.jpg]
Maurice Sendak (1928-2012)-Brooklyn-born author who wrote one of my favorite childhood books: "Where The Wild Things Are". He died 5/8/12 after suffering a stroke. He was 83. RIP Maurice Sendak.

[Image: barnabas-collins.jpg]
John Herbert "Jonathan" Frid (1924-2012)-The Canadian-born Frid is best known for playing vampire Barnabas Collins on the Horror/Soap Opera "Dark Shadows". He died in mid April 2012 after complications from a fall. He was 87. Frid had a cameo in the recent Tim Burton version of Dark Shadows. RIP Jonathan Frid.

[Image: Chuck-Brown1-269x300.jpg]
Chuck Brown (1936-2012)-Chuck Brown was called "The Godfather of Go-Go" and is best remembered for the song "Busting Loose". He died on 5/16/12 of multiple organ failure. He was 75. RIP Chuck Brown.
[youtube]_2vMoXkJtRw[/youtube]
[youtube]wwHi10qX8u8[/youtube]

[Image: Junior_Seau_2.jpg]
Tiaina Baul "Junior" Seau Jr. (1969-2012)-Was a 10-time All-Pro linebacker who played 20 years in the NFL for the Chargers, Dolphins & Patriots. Seau died of a self-inflicted gun shot wound on 5/2/12. He was 43. RIP Junior Seau.

[Image: George-Lindsay-as-Goober-Pyle-1970-Publi...hoto-1.jpg]
George Lindsey (1928-2012)-Lindsey is best remembered for playing the role of "Goober Pyle" for over 20 years on the shows "The Andy Griffith Show", "Mayberry RFD" and "Hee Haw". Lindsey essentially replaced Jim Nabors on TAGS, as Nabors was getting his own show ("Gomer Pyle, USMC") and played a similar, but more restrained dimwitted, but lovable character. Lindsey died on 5/6/2012 after a short illness. He was 83. RIP George "Goober" Lindsey.

[Image: Adam-Yauch-Tank-Top_458-1.jpg]
Adam Nathaniel Yauch (1964-2012)-Adam, also known as MCA of Beastie Boys fame, died on 5/4/12 of throat cancer. He was 47. With the other Beastie Boys, Yauch recorded songs such as "She's on It", "Hold It, Now Hit It","The New Style","Paul Revere","Brass Monkey","(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)","No Sleep till Brooklyn","Girls" and "Hey Ladies", among many others. RIP Adam Yauch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk
[Image: rodney-king-467-1.jpg]
Rodney Glen King (1965-2012), who was a victim of excessive police brutality in 1991, was found dead in his pool on 6/17/2012. King was 47 years old. When three of the four police officers involved in King's beating in 1991 were acquitted, this sparked the L.A. riots in 1992, which left over 50 dead, and totalled millions in property damage. King famously said "Can't we all just get along?", during the riots. A full investigation into King's death is pending. R.I.P. Rodney King...
RIP to:

[Image: frank_cady-1.jpg]
Frank Cady, who played "Sam Drucker", on "Green Acres", "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Petticoat Junction", died on June 9th, 2012 at age 96. RIP, Frank Cady...

[youtube]anJAq4EzNKs[/youtube]

[Image: don-grady-2-1.jpg]
Don Grady (born Don Louis Agrati), who was perhaps best known for playing Robbie Douglas on the classic TV series "My Three Sons", died on June 27th after a bout with cancer. He was 68 years old. Prior to My Three Sons, Grady had been one of the original Mouseketeers on "The Mickey Mouse Club". After original oldest brother Mike (played by Tim Considine of "Spin & Marty" fame) got married, and left the show (never to be seen again), Robbie became the oldest brother to Chip (Stanley Livingston) and adopted brother Ernie (Barry Livingston). Grady worked on a musical career after My Three Sons ended it's run, and among his credits are the theme for the Phil Donahue Show. He is survived by his wife, Virginia, and two children.

My Three Sons Theme

Don Grady, 'My Three Sons' Star, Dies At 68
And R.I.P. to:

[Image: chad-everett-lg-1.jpg]
Chad Everett (1936-2012), best known for his role as Dr. Joe Gannon on the "Medical Center" TV series, died on July 24th, 2012 after a bout with lung cancer. He was 76. I have only vague memories of watching this show back in the 70's (it was a favorite of mom's), but the theme music has stuck in my head for years. R.I.P., Chad Everett..

[youtube]X9br1JjcXfo[/youtube]

[Image: celesteholm.jpg]
Celeste Holm (1917-2012), who won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for "Gentleman's Agreement" (1947) died in her NY apartment on July 15th, 2012. She was 95. The New York-born Holm, who was still acting well into her 90's, also starred in classic films such as "All About Eve" (1950), and "High Society" (1956). She was one of the last living actresses from Hollywood's Golden Age---others still living include Lauren Bacall, Olivia de Havilland and her sister Joan Fontaine. R.I.P. , Celeste Holm.

[youtube]IBghvMlxPX0[/youtube]

[Image: sherman-hemsley-1-300.jpg]
Sherman Hemsley (1938-2012), who is best known for playing George Jefferson on "All In The Family" and it's long-running spinoff, "The Jeffersons", died on July 24th, 2012. He was 74. George Jefferson began as the black counterpoint to Archie Bunker on "All In The Family", but just like Archie, he would mellow over the years, becoming more well-rounded and he ranks up there with some of the iconic characters in TV history.

Hemsley also starred as Deacon Frye on the TV series "Amen", which ran for 5 years. When I was a kid, I thought George was hilarious, and I enjoyed Sherman in this role. I think "The Jeffersons" was better than the other black shows from back then (like Good Times, Sanford And Son, What's Happening!, and the largely forgotten That's My Mama) that I watched. I just think it holds up better and generally was better written. But now, Sherman will really be movin' on up...R.I.P. brother Sherman---thanks for all the laughs...

This clip below is from a classic episode of "All In The Family" ("Lionel's Engagement"). In it, you can see the standard George vs Archie stuff, plus we meet Mother Jefferson (Zara Cully), Helen Willis (Kim Hamilton instead of Roxie Roker), Tom Willis (Charles Aidman; later Franklin Cover), and Jenny Willis (played here by the lovely Lynne Moody; Berlinda Tolbert played her later on). Sadly, all of the main "Jeffersons" actors except Berlinda Tolbert, Damon Evans (2nd Lionel) & Marla Gibbs (Florence) are deceased. In comparison, Sally Struthers (Gloria), Rob Reiner (Mike "Meathead" Stivic) & Jean Stapleton of "All In The Family" are still around.

[youtube]jjhzhK2zryg[/youtube]
R.I.P. To:
[Image: normanalden-1.jpg]
Norman Alden (September 13, 1924 – July 27, 2012)- Alden's face may not be familiar to some, but you may recognize the voice. Alden, who was a character actor (mostly in TV roles), voiced Aquaman in the original "Super-Friends" cartoon. He also appeared in "Back To The Future" and "Ed Wood". Alden, who was 87, died of natural causes.
R.I.P. To:

[Image: rONpalillo-1.jpg]
Ronald Gabriel "Ron" Palillo (April 2, 1949 – August 14, 2012)- Palillo was best known for his role as "Arnold Horshack" on the 70's TV series "Welcome Back Kotter". Palillo is the second "sweathog" to die this year (Robert Hedgyes being the other), leaving John Travolta ("Barbarino") & Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs ("Freddie "Boom-Boom" Washington") as the surviving sweathogs. Palillo died of a heart attack at age 63.
R.I.P. To:

[Image: BenDavidson21.jpg]
Benjamin Earl "Ben" Davidson (June 14, 1940 – July 2, 2012)- Davidson was a defensive end who played for the Oakland Raiders (AFL & NFL), Washington Redskins & Green Bay Packers. He was a 3-time AFL All-Star during his career. Davidson is also remembered for a series of beer commercials. Davidson died at the age of 72 from lung cancer.

[youtube]daWYdWi1ew0[/youtube]
R.I.P. To:

[Image: phyllis-diller-article-1.jpg]
Phyllis Diller (July 17, 1917 – August 20, 2012)-Phyllis Diller was a comedy legend well-known for her wacky persona and crazy outfits. The 95 yr old Diller died of natural causes.

[youtube]8oHw2vGWkR8[/youtube]