Hoss' RIP Thread
R.I.P. To:

[Image: th_garycollins-1.jpg]
Gary Ennis Collins (1938-2012)-Collins was a televison & movie actor, as well as a talk show host. He was married to former Miss America Mary Ann Mobley from 1967 to his death on Oct. 13th, 2012 of natural causes. He was 74.

[Image: th_alex_karras-1.jpg]
Alexander George "Alex" Karras (1935-2012)-Alex Karras was an NFL player with the Detroit Lions (1958-1970), and is also remembered for the TV series "Webster", which co-starred Emmanuel Lewis as the title character, and his real-life wife, Susan Clark, as his wife on the show. Karras died on Oct. 10th, 2012 from complications due to kidney failure. He was 77.

[Image: th_AndyWilliamspng5-1.jpg]
Howard Andrew "Andy" Williams (1927-2012)-Andy Williams was a popular singer/songwriter best known for the song "Moon River", as well as his TV show "The Andy Williams Show", and countless Christmas Specials & songs. Williams died on Sept. 25th 2012 of bladder cancer. He was 84.
And R.I.P. to...

[Image: th_sylvia-kristel-lead-1.jpg]
Sylvia Maria Kristel (1952-2012)-Dutch-born Sylvia Kristel was an actress best known for her title role in the "Emmanuelle" series of movies. In addition to the Emmanuelle movies, Kristel also appeared in "Private Lessons" (1981); "Private School" (1983); "Concorde: Airport '79" (1979); "Lady Chatterley's Lover" (1981); and "Red Heat" (1985). Kristel died on Oct. 18th, 2012 of cancer. She was 60 years old.
And R.I.P. to...

[Image: th_pascual-perez-1.jpg]
Pascual Gross Perez (1957-2012)- Perez, who was a MLB pitcher with the Pirates, Braves, Expos, and Yankees, was found dead in his home on Nov. 1st, 2012 in the Dominican Republic. He was apparently murdered during a robbery in his house. It appears he was hit repeatedly in the head with a hammer. Perez was 55 years old.

Perez was an All-Star with the Braves in 1983, compiling a 15-8 W/L record and an ERA of 3.43. He finished his career with a 67-68 W/L record and an ERA of 3.44. His brothers Melido, and Carlos, also were MLB pitchers.
And R.I.P. to...

[Image: th_hectorcamacho-300x300.jpg]
Hector Luis "Macho" Camacho Matias (1962-2012)-Puerto Rican-born Camacho, who was a professional boxing champion in three different weight classes, died on November 24th, 2012, four days after being shot by unknown assailant. Camacho was 50 years old. After the shooting, Camacho really never regained consciousness (some reports say he was essentially "brain dead"), so his mother, Maria Matias, decided to have him taken off of life support, and he was officially declared deceased on 11/24/2012.

During his boxing career, Camacho fought against notable boxers like Julio Cesar Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, Sugar Ray Leonard & Roberto Duran. He compiled a 79-6 record with 45 KO's.

[Image: th_larry_hagman--300x300.jpg][Image: th_larryhagman_jrewing-1.jpg]
Larry Martin Hagman (1931-2012)-TV legend Hagman, who played the ruthless oil tycoon J.R. Ewing on the hit TV series "Dallas", and astronaut Tony Nelson on the 60's classic TV series "I Dream Of Jeannie", died on November 23rd, 2012 after a bout with throat cancer. Hagman was 81 years old.

When I was a kid "I Dream Of Jeannie", was one of my favorite shows (though I can barely watch it now), but I really liked Hagman on Dallas better. J.R. Ewing is one of the classic TV characters of all time---one of those guys you loved to hate (although I tended to root for J.R., since everyone was always against him---LOL). Yeah, he was a womanizing, dirty dealing, avaricious scumbag, but he made for interesting TV. As bad as he was though, J.R. really had a softer side, particularly with his family. As much as I liked the original Dallas, I couldn't bring myself to watch that new Dallas---no interest in seeing 80 yr old J.R. and 60 yr old Bobby. I rather remember them the way they were. R.I.P. Anthony Nelson/John Ross Ewing II/Larry Hagman...

Dallas 3rd Season Opening Credits

I Dream Of Jeannie Opening Theme
And R.I.P. to:

[Image: th_marvin_miller-1.jpg]
Marvin Julian Miller (1917-2012)~The Bronx-born Miller, who was the executive director of the MLBPA (Major League Baseball Players Association) from 1966-1982, died on November 27th, 2012 from complications of lung cancer. Miller was 95 years old. Marvin Miller was largely responsible for bringing free agency to MLB (in the old days, the teams had total control over the players), so every MLB player owes a great deal to Mr. Miller. Miller SHOULD be in the MLB Hall Of Fame, but has been snubbed thus far.
And R.I.P. to:

[Image: th_Charles-Durning_zps2301719c.jpg]
Charles Durning (1923-2012)- Durning, who was a multi-nominated character actor, died on December 24th of as yet unknown causes. He was 89 years old. Durning, who was a decorated World War II vet as well, appeared in such movies as "Tootsie", "Dog Day Afternoon", "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas", "The Sting", and many others.

[Image: th_Gerry_Anderson_zpsc48ead9d-1_zps652eddad.jpg]
Gerald Alexander Abrahams (better known as Gerry Anderson to the public) (1929-2012)- Gerry Anderson, who was a British producer best known for the cult classic shows "Thunderbirds", "UFO", and "Space: 1999", died on December 26th, 2012 after suffering from dementia brought on by Alzheimer's Disease. Anderson was 83 years old.

The Opening Theme for Gerry Anderson's UFO

Space: 1999 Intro[b]-This Anderson-produced sci/fy show starred the husband and wife team of Martin Landau & Barbara Bain, who co-starred a decade earlier on "Mission Impossible". Interestingly, like MI, Space:1999's opening montage always featured scenes from the particular episode airing that night.

[Image: th_jack-klugman_zpsdc0348ec-1_zpsb0f17f7a.jpg]
Jacob Joachim "Jack" Klugman (1922-2012)-Jack Klugman, was perhaps best known for his roles as Oscar Madison on "The Odd Couple", and Dr. Quincy on "Quincy, M.E.", died on December 24th, 2012 of apparently natural causes. Klugman was 90 years old. On "The Odd Couple", played Oscar Madison---a divorced, sloppy, sportswriter who shared a NYC apartment with his also divorced, neat-freak photographer friend, Felix Unger (played by Tony Randall). The Odd Couple ran from 1970-1975, and netted Klugman 2 Emmy Awards. After the Odd Couple, Klugman did "Quincy" from 1976-1983 and racked up several Emmy nominations.

Klugman was married for many years to actress Brett Somers, who is well-remembered for her role as a panelist on the game show "The Match Game", and as Oscar Madison's ex-wife Blanche, on the "Odd Couple". They became estranged in 1974, but never divorced. After Brett Somers died in 2007, Klugman married long-time girlfriend Peggy Crosby. In addition to his wife, Peggy, Klugman is survived by two sons and two grandchildren.

The Odd Couple Season Two Opening
And R.I.P. to:

[Image: th_norman-schwarzkopf-300_zpsa91d4d25.jpg]
General Herbert "Norman" Schwarzkopf (1934-2012)- The retired General Schwarzkopf, who was commander of the army coalition that drove Saddam Hussein's forces out of Kuwait during The Persian Gulf War, died on December 27th, 2012 due to complications from pneumonia. Schwarzkopf was 78 years old.

Schwarzkopf retired shortly after the Gulf War, and spent his retirement writing his autobiography "It Doesn't Take A Hero", working as a military analyst on TV, as well as various charity & community work. Schwarzkopf is survived by his wife, Brenda, and three children.
[Image: th_dear-abby-hero_zps7ce7e554-1_zps8bd39f22.jpg]
Pauline Friedman Phillips (aka "Abigail Van Buren") (1918-2013): Phillips, who used the pen name of Abigail Van Buren to write the long-running "Dear Abby" advice column, died on Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 after a long battle with Alzheimer's Disease. She was 94 years old. Ms. Phillips started the Dear Abby column in 1956, with her daughter Jeanne taking over the column in 2002, after Phillips had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Ms. Phillips' twin sister, Esther Friedman Lederer, was also a popular advice columnist---"Ann Landers". Esther died in 2002 at age 83.

[Image: th_conrad-bain_zpsc103a2bf-1_zps3662fe11.jpg]
Conrad Stafford Bain (1923-2013)-Conrad Bain will be remembered for two TV roles: As Dr. Arthur Harmon on the 70's series "Maude", and as Phillip Drummond on "Diff'rent Strokes". The Canadian born actor died on Monday, January 14th, 2013 of natural causes. He was 89 years old.

With Bain's death, Todd Bridges ("Willis") & Charlotte Rae ("Mrs. Garrett") are the only surviving original cast members from "Diff'rent Strokes". And of Bain's "Maude" cast mates, only Bill Macy ("Walter") and Adrienne Barbeau ("Carol") are the only living original cast members (unless you want to count whoever played Carol's son---I don't. He wasn't listed in the opening credits, and was seen less frequently than Carol, who appeared sparingly towards the end of the series.) Both of Bain's shows currently air on AntennaTV.

Diff'rent Strokes Season 5 Opening

Maude Season 1 Opening (Theme sung by Donny Hathaway!)
And R.I.P. to not one, but, two MLB Hall Of Famers...

[Image: th_earlweaver-head-shot_zps6989567d-1_zps4a8cca2d.jpg]
Earl Sidney Weaver (1930-2013)~Earl Weaver, a HOFer who managed the Baltimore Orioles for 17 years (1968-1982; 1985-1986), died on Saturday, January 19th, 2013, of an apparent heart attack. Earl Weaver was 82 years old.

Weaver led the Orioles to 4 World Series, winning in 1970 vs the Cincinnati Reds. His managerial record was 1480 wins vs 1060 losses, for a .583 winning percentage. His Orioles teams included such stars as Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken Jr., Ken Singleton, Dave McNally & Mike Cuellar. The fiery-tempered Weaver often sparred with umpires, and as a result, he was ejected 91 times from games.

Despite his temper, Weaver's teams only had one losing season under his leadership (1986), so I guess it worked for him. Earl was certainly a character---I think he, Billy Martin, Lou Piniella & Sparky Anderson were the most entertaining MLB managers. R.I.P., Earl Weaver...

Classic Earl Weaver tirade in game vs Detroit Tigers (foul language)

[Image: th_StanMusial_zpsd5313206-1_zpsce914ea3.jpg]
Stanley Frank "Stan The Man" Musial (1920-2013)~Stan Musial, perhaps the most revered player in St. Louis Cardinals history, and one of the greatest MLB players of all-time, died on January 19th, 2013, of natural causes. Musial was 92 years old.

Musial was simply one of the greatest players of all-time---check out his numbers:

475 HRs/1951 RBI/.331 BA/3630 HITS/1949 RUNS/725 2B/.417 OBP/.559 SLG/.976 OPS

He is also one of two players to have hit 5 HRs in a double-header (Nate Colbert is the other), and was the oldest player (41) to hit 3 HRs in a game. He had 11 straight seasons of 100+ runs scored; six 200+ hit seasons; 16 straight years with a .300+ BA, during which time he won 7 NL batting titles; he won 3 MVP awards; he was a 24 time All-Star; and he won three WS titles with St. Louis (1942,1944,1946). Terrific numbers, and from all accounts, Musial was a terrific person. R.I.P., "Stan The Man"...

Remembering Stan Musial
[Image: th_sugarfoot-kiss-cd-cover_zps0a3566fe.jpg] [Image: th_ohio_players_zpsa3358423.jpg]
Leroy "Sugarfoot" Bonner (1943-2013)~Sugarfoot, who was the lead singer of the legendary funk group, The Ohio Players, died on Saturday, January 26th, 2013 after battling cancer. Bonner was 69 years old. Bonner and the Players tore up the charts in the 70's with such hits as "Fire"; "Love Rollercoaster", "Funky Worm"; "Skin Tight"; and "I Want To Be Free", among others.

The Ohio Players were one of my favorite funk bands, using a mixture of funk & rock, much like Sly & The Family Stone, but with more emphasis on the funk (although Sly could bring it when he wanted to...). I never had the privilege of seeing them perform live, but from what I've heard, their live shows were incredible. I was partial to "Fire" & "Love Rollercoaster" (both number one on R&B & Pop charts), but they had a number of classics, maybe not as many as some other 70's bands, but enough for me to remember them by. And they had those great album covers too! (see below)

[Image: th_ohioplayers-covers-0128_zps8f0cf220.jpg]
Two memorable Ohio Players covers

Ohio Players' bassist Marshall "Rock" Jones is the only living original Ohio Player (Sugarfoot came along a couple of years after the group debuted as "The Ohio Untouchables")
R.I.P., brotha Leroy---thanks for the funky memories...

The Ohio Players performing "Fire"

Love Rollercoaster (gotta love them horns---just like EWF...)