Hoss' RIP Thread
Thanks for the video tribute. Although I don't' think she played the stripper in the early scene in "Once Upon A Time In America".

She was a beautiful movie babe. Kinda shocking dying so young from a alzheimer's. I've always associated this disease with much older age.

Then again, a former colleague died at age 55 from what they thought was alzheimer's. Turned out to be a case of brain eating microbes.
[Image: 760zqPlL_t.jpg] [Image: o6AXMwn8_t.jpg] [Image: 37huxVAF_t.jpg] 
[Image: 6RT6J8fn_t.jpg] [Image: mWhT48zD_t.jpg] [Image: MKId5pok_t.jpg]  [Image: GuTnrPdr_t.jpg] [Image: CUp2aB9k_t.jpg] [Image: tW4jpccw_t.jpg]

Stan Lee (born as Stanley Martin Lieber (12/28/1922-11/12/2018)~Stan Lee, one of the most iconic figures in the history of comics, died on November 12th, 2018, at the age of 95.

Man, what can you say about Stan Lee? He co-created some of the greatest characters in comics: Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, The X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, The Hulk, The Avengers and so many others. He is largely responsible for Marvel eventually overtaking DC Comics as the number one comic book company and now that success continues in Marvel Studios' movies.

Stan Lee starting working at Timely Comics (the original incarnation of what was to become Marvel Comics) as a teenager. At just 19, he was made an editor and made his comic writing debut in Captain America Comics #3, way back in 1941.

However, super-heroes were going out of fashion, as the new craze became horror, science fiction , westerns and other genres. Stan wrote just about every type of comic during this time, but he began to tire of writing and began to think about quitting comics alltogether.

Fortunately, that would not happen. At the request of publisher Martin Goodman, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created "The Fantastic Four" in response to DC's "Justice League", which had tremendous success at the time.

The Fantastic Four  were a tremendous success, and the Marvel Age of Comics had begun! The FF were followed by Spider-Man, Thor, X-Men, Hulk, Daredevil, The Avengers and so many others. 

Stan Lee, who had been Marvel's Editor In Chief, became publisher in 1972, and no longer wrote books on a regular basis. He continued to help Marvel grow as a company as it continued to distance itself from DC and the other comic book companies.

After his time as publisher ended, Lee continued to be the face of Marvel Comics, as he made cameos in nearly every Marvel movie and appearances at comic book conventions and the like.

His legacy, however, will be the characters that he created/co-created and the apparent joy he had in writing them. For me, his best works are his run on "The Amazing Spider-Man" (with Steve Ditko, John Romita, Gil Kane and Ross Andru), his "Fantastic Four" run with Jack Kirby and his run on "Journey Into Mystery"/"Thor" with Jack Kirby and later John Buscema. He did great work on the other titles too, but IMO, those above displayed his best work. I used to have practically every JIM/Thor from # 100-200 (missing only about 10-15 issues) and I'm just sorry that I ever sold those---such a great run! When I think of Thor, I think of that run mostly.

So, Stan "The Man", thank you for making MINE (and millions more!) Marvel, and for one last time: Excelsior!!!

[Image: 8lUyNaHd_o.gif]
Congrats to Mariano Rivera on becoming the first unanimous MLB Hall Of Fame inductee in baseball history! A well-deserved honor and it couldn't have happened to a classier ballplayer. Congrats Mo---the greatest closer of all-time!!!
[-] The following 6 users Like Hoss5973's post:
  • hughes, Shotgun Styles, NiceHot, Spops, uiop90, vesuvius
And let us not forget, that Stan died on Veterans day. He volunteered in 1942 for the US Army during WW2.
White Girl Connoisseur

[-] The following 3 users Like Shotgun Styles's post:
  • Hoss5973, uiop90, vesuvius
[Image: GW0uMyA6_t.jpg][Image: znLX5kNo_t.jpg] [Image: 1ZOQWRMU_t.jpg] [Image: VIwWCap9_t.jpg] [Image: jh2fRM8C_t.jpg] [Image: 3K9DanX3_t.jpg] [Image: Dq366ekd_t.jpg] [Image: n56hWabe_t.jpg] [Image: KSfTUNG7_t.jpg]

George Herbert Walker Bush (6/12/1924-11/30/2018)~George H.W. Bush, the 43rd Vice President and 41st President of the United States, died on November 30th, 2018, at the age of 94. His wife, former First Lady Barbara Bush died back in April of this year.

George H.W. Bush, who of course was the father of 43rd President George W. Bush, was born in Massachusetts to Prescott Bush, who later was a US Senator for Connecticutt, and Dorothy Walker. 

Bush enlisted in the US Navy some months after Pearl Harbor and served until 1945, reaching the rank of junior grade lieutenant. He performed 58 combat missions during WW 2, winning numerous awards for his efforts.

After his enlistment ended, he enrolled in Yale University, where he was captain of the baseball team. He once met baseball legend Babe Ruth (who was gravely ill at the time) before a baseball game there.

After graduating from Yale, Bush (who'd married the former Barbara Pierce while still in the Navy) and his family moved to Texas, where he became involved in the oil business. His success in the oil industry made him a millionaire by 1964. 

Around this time, he became involved in politics: First serving in The House Of Representatives (Texas) from 1967-1971; He served as US Ambassador to The United Nations (1971-1973); Chairman of The Republican National Committee (1973-1974); Chief of The US Liaison Office to The People's Republic Of China (1974-1975); Director of The CIA (1976-1977); 43rd Vice President of the US (1981-1989); and 41st President of the US (1989-1993). That's quite the resume!

Trivia: George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush were the 2nd father and son to both be elected US President. The first such pair being John Adams & John Quincy Adams.

George H.W. Bush was the first sitting Vice President to be elected President since Martin Van Buren back in 1836. Lyndon Johnson (JFK assasination) and Gerald Ford (Nixon resignation) were not elected as President.

Congrats to Mariano Rivera on becoming the first unanimous MLB Hall Of Fame inductee in baseball history! A well-deserved honor and it couldn't have happened to a classier ballplayer. Congrats Mo---the greatest closer of all-time!!!
[Image: NlpmUktF_t.jpg][Image: 67ERabdJ_t.jpg] [Image: 3xQlKz5g_t.jpg] [Image: ER1sfCxU_t.jpg] [Image: wTFsC67b_t.jpg] [Image: nAFUhEv9_t.jpg] [Image: VkD6qgUM_t.jpg] [Image: 558QtNJm_t.jpg] [Image: WuDnyNDZ_t.jpg] [Image: Kaue1vWS_t.jpg]

Kenneth Ronald "Ken" Berry (11/3/1933-12/1/2018)~Ken Berry, an actor/dancer/singer best remembered for his roles on the tv shows "F-Troop", "Mayberry RFD", and "Mama's Family", died on December 1st, 2018, at the age of 85.

And so, another piece of my childhood is gone. As I have mentioned in the past, "F-Troop" was one of my all-time favs as a kid---I loved that show! I was a big fan of westerns (hence the nickname "Hoss"), but "F-Troop" combined comedy with the western setting and I really enjoyed it. Larry Storch's Agarn was my favorite, but Ken Berry was great in the role of the hapless, accident-prone Captain Wilton Parmenter. He just had that likeable persona in just about every character he played. Definitely one of my favorite tv actors.

In addition to the shows mentioned above, Berry appeared on "Dr. Kildare", "The Andy Griffith Show" (setting up Mayberry RFD), "The Carol Burnett Show", "The Ann Sothern Show" and so many others.

Berry was married to actress Jackie Joseph from 1960-1976 and they adopted 2 children together.

With Berry's passing, only the great Larry Storch ("Agarn") and James Hampton ("Dobbs" the bugler) remain from the main cast of "F-Troop". R.I.P., Ken Berry---thank you for making me laugh as a child...

[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoss5973's post:
  • beaujesus
[Image: 5hSxSVXH_t.jpg][Image: nbPHTZQL_t.jpg] [Image: kDekaP9X_t.jpg] [Image: xrUlnlIw_t.jpg] [Image: WkiI3qfK_t.jpg] [Image: hE8Wt1zM_t.jpg] [Image: cbTFZtrF_t.jpg] [Image: TurtyI9b_t.jpg] [Image: MXbEsjVZ_t.jpg] [Image: MCs8D2u5_t.jpg]

Carole Penny Marshall (10/15/1943-12/17/2018)~Penny Marshall, who started out as an actress ("The Odd Couple" as Myrna Turner and "Laverne & Shirley" as Laverne DeFazio) and went on to achieve great success as a director/producer ("A League Of Their Own", "Big"), died on December 17th, 2018, of complications from diabetes. Marshall was 75 years old.

What a great career that this Bronx-born lady had! She actually was the first female director to have directed a movie that grossed over $100 million ("Big"). Not bad for a lady who played Myrna Turner and Laverne DeFazio. RIP, Penny Marshall...

[-] The following 2 users Like Hoss5973's post:
  • Shotgun Styles, RickTheDick
There goes a part of my childhood.

RIP Penny Marshall.

The internet generation is missing out on the culturally unifying experience of prime time TV.
[-] The following 2 users Like RickTheDick's post:
  • Hoss5973, uiop90
[Image: z85TAl3v_t.jpg][Image: 0i4HtsAe_t.jpg] [Image: 9Rj3vif6_t.jpg] [Image: Y3BeAUnn_t.jpg] [Image: Hua1XEtf_t.jpg] [Image: l71Qtqfb_t.jpg] [Image: UMHp71gQ_t.jpg]

Eugene Arthur "Mean Gene" Okerlund (12/19/1942-1/2/2019)~ "Mean" Gene Okerlund, the legendary WWF/WWE wrestling commentator/personality, died on January 2nd, 2019, as the result of complications caused by a bad fall. Okerlund was 76 years old.

Wow, they are really dropping off like flies these past few years... "Mean" Gene Okerlund was one of the great characters in professional wrestling. To me, he came across as very likeable (ironic that he was called "Mean" Gene) and I found his interviews to be quite entertaining as well. So many wrestling greats have died over the last several years (a lot of them are in this thread) --- a sad reminder that my childhood/early adulthood is well past and that I'm getting old. 

R.I.P., (not so) "Mean" Gene, you were the best...

[-] The following 2 users Like Hoss5973's post:
  • Shotgun Styles, uiop90
I loved Mean Gene as a kid. He was our window into that world. His average stature during interviews really gave you an idea of the scale of these men. And yet, he never seemed to be afraid of them, even when they came after him. It was just a little way the WWE taught kids about courage and standing up to bullies.

They had a Mean Gene's restaurant at Camp Casey in Korea. I now regret having never eaten there.
White Girl Connoisseur

[-] The following 1 user Likes Shotgun Styles's post:
  • Hoss5973
And now I continue with the passings from 2017 & 2018 that weren't posted...

[Image: hy4nimXK_t.jpg] [Image: 68j3iyDP_t.jpg] [Image: 9nkROWvx_t.jpg] [Image: ta570rHB_t.jpg] [Image: CDKUkljn_t.jpg]

Richard Alan "Dick" Enberg (1/9/1935-12/21/2017)~ Dick Enberg, the legendary sports broadcaster who called NFL, MLB, NCAA, NBA and a host of others during a 50+ year career, died on December 21st, 2017, of an apparent heart attack. Enberg was 82 years old.

Enberg was one of the all-time greats in sports broadcasting. Not too many could seemlessly go from one sport to the next and do a great job like Enberg did. One of my favorite NFL broadcast teams was Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen. They played off one another well and called a great game more times than not. I also liked his work in NCAA basketball. 

Dick Enberg always came off as a classy guy and that shows thru pretty much all of his broadcasts. A true legend---R.I.P., Dick Enberg.

[Image: 64Uh8yzx_t.png] [Image: abjgSvdF_t.jpg] [Image: nM9KIbWS_t.jpg]

Heather Margaret Brotherston Menzies-Urich (12/3/1949-12/24/2017)~ Heather Menzies, a Canadian-born actress who is best remembered for her role as Louisa Von Trapp in the classic movie The Sound Of Music (1965), died on December 24th, 2017, of brain cancer. Menzies was 68 years old.

Menzies also appeared on the short-lived sci/fi series Logan's Run as Jessica 6. Menzies was married to actor Robert Urich from 1975 to his death in 2002 and guest-starred on each of his tv series: Vega$, S.W.A.T. (1975) and Spenser: For Hire.