Foriegn Language Films
Excellent film. Can't understand why it was so poorly reviewed, but it was a mind bender.

Once Spike got out of the race movie game, he really proved himself to be a great director. If you've seen "Inside Man" you know what I'm talking about. This movie is similarly dark and twisted, a remake of an Asian film.

Brolin has become one of my favorite actors, and he is brilliant here. The appearance changes alone should garner Academy attention.

I highly recommend.
White Girl Connoisseur
[Image: OxvA.gif]
The "original" was also an adaptation. The actual original story was a Japanese manga.
White Girl Connoisseur
IMO the original was much better, this one was decent at best.

Really cowardly resolution in the ending and the film was too earnest at times instead of using the original's dark comedy. The villain's reason for making the 'hero's' life miserable is not nearly as good and he is comical instead of chilling.

I can definitely see why it got the reviews it did.
[Image: DGaaBwz.gif]
bakajin Wrote:Oh was it. I never knew, even though I used to write about film for an alt.weekly. /sarcasm

Now how in the fuck was I supposed to know that? /WTF

bakajin Wrote:Still, I've seen the original film, I don't need an imitation. Moreover, early reports had Spike et. al. stating they would rely on the original source material, but it appears they went with borrowing Park's vision. I wanted Spike's take, not Spike's take on Park's ideas.

I'm assuming that you've seen Park's work.

I don't watch foreign language films because I hate subtitles. My short attention span just gets lost in the sauce...
White Girl Connoisseur
Shotgun Styles Wrote:
bakajin Wrote:Oh was it. I never knew, even though I used to write about film for an alt.weekly. /sarcasm

Now how in the fuck was I supposed to know that? /WTF

bakajin Wrote:Still, I've seen the original film, I don't need an imitation. Moreover, early reports had Spike et. al. stating they would rely on the original source material, but it appears they went with borrowing Park's vision. I wanted Spike's take, not Spike's take on Park's ideas.

I'm assuming that you've seen Park's work.

I don't watch foreign language films because I hate subtitles. My short attention span just gets lost in the sauce...

So...you didn't see Park's Oldboy?
vesuvius Wrote:So...you didn't see Park's Oldboy?

I HEAR A LECTURE COMING..
[Image: 265k.jpg]
White Girl Connoisseur
Shotgun, just watch the dubbed version. It's one of the few dubs I can stomach, and it is vastly, vastly superior. And I dig most of Spike's work, but I can't abide this when the original, better version is out there. Hell, bro, it was on Netflix...might still be, even.
Shotgun Styles Wrote:Excellent film. Can't understand why it was so poorly reviewed, but it was a mind bender.

You couldn't possibly understand poor reviews because you've never seen the original.

When you remake anything, it's natural for people to compare it to the original work on which this remake is based on. This happens in music all the time.

Reviews are subjective but when majority of people who saw both agree it's not as good/poorer than the original, it's a more informed opinion which can't be said about your opinion because it's missing 50% of the picture.
swoosh Wrote:
Shotgun Styles Wrote:Excellent film. Can't understand why it was so poorly reviewed, but it was a mind bender.

You couldn't possibly understand poor reviews because you've never seen the original.

When you remake anything, it's natural for people to compare it to the original work on which this remake is based on. This happens in music all the time.

Reviews are subjective but when majority of people who saw both agree it's not as good/poorer than the original, it's a more informed opinion which can't be said about your opinion because it's missing 50% of the picture.

it's this

It's like gushing over Vinsanity because you never saw MJ, Kobe, Wade (you get the picture)

No, that is not hyperbole

You are doing yourself a great disservice by not watching foreign language films, Styles

The entire vengeance series is great (Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance) and vastly superior to this film

And it's not a lecture, it's advice Wink Big Grin
Just getting my ass kicked all over this thread...

[Image: 530748_o.gif]
White Girl Connoisseur