Foriegn Language Films
Shotgun Styles Wrote:Just getting my ass kicked all over this thread...

[Image: 530748_o.gif]

:lol: You're one of the better dudes on this thread, we have no interest in kicking your ass, sir

Just making observations
[Image: DGaaBwz.gif]
Shotgun Styles Wrote:Just getting my ass kicked all over this thread...

No, my intention wasn't to "kick your ass" as you put it. It just sounds that way because most discussions on this forum is quite combative.

You said you couldn't understand why it had poor reviews and I just explained the reason behind it.
bakajin Wrote:
Shotgun Styles Wrote:
vesuvius Wrote:So...you didn't see Park's Oldboy?

I HEAR A LECTURE COMING..
[Image: 265k.jpg]

YOU DAMN RIGHT! :lol:

My Pops doesn't want to read subtitles, either, but imagines himself a movie fan. This is something I cannot tolerate. A worldly brother such as urself MUST suck it up and read those little letters at the bottom. You're simply missing out if you liked Spike's OLDBOY and haven't seen Park's catalogue, even his non-revenge trilogy joints. So much richness, so many non-bland non-White faces telling strong stories. And then, if you're digging manga, how can you get by not watching Takashi Miike's transgressive manga-based arthouse action pics? Get ur ass to Netflix now!

Or another nice flick, Battle Royale (Japanese)

[Image: 14wqd68.jpg]

The thing about the Park Vengeance flicks, you won't CARE that you don't speak their language, because they're very good at conveying emotion through body language (Again, the Korean actors, the Japanese notsomuch).
OKAY OKAY! I'll watch the original!

Today!
White Girl Connoisseur
[Image: OxvA.gif]
i've seen both and i still say spike did a pretty good job with the remake (its not like he changed much anyway).....the only thing i didnt really like was how copley portrayed the villain compaed to how he was in the original....other than that it was pretty good
Ok. Watched it.

***SPOILER ALERT***

This movie could not possibly have been remade for an American audience, so my opinion is that Spike was attempting to do the impossible. About 3/4 of the way through I was expecting a tacit, perhaps grudging acceptance of complicated emotional circumstances. But the ending of this film outright condones incest in the name of love. There is no way you could sell that narrative Stateside.

It was a better movie than the remake, no question. It asks difficult questions and gives a decidedly bold answer with it's resolution. As a piece of artwork I can't fault it. I completely understand why so many of you didn't like the Spike Lee remake. Spike was a fool to try to redo this here. He could never have hoped to write a more powerful 3rd act, and could never have dreamed of selling the original one to American film producers. The remake was a tremendous folly and I'm actually sorry that I had never seen the original before watching Spike's version which was, very necessarily, thoroughly watered down for western audiences.

Long story short, the board was right and Shotgun was wrong.
White Girl Connoisseur
[Image: 14wqd68.jpg]

Styles

Welcome, brother
I've seen the original. I've always had a bad feeling about remakes so I'm worried about seeing this. Reading Styles' comment/spoiler in the 2nd page of this thread will save me the trouble from wasting my time.
yellowhitey Wrote:I've seen the original. I've always had a bad feeling about remakes so I'm worried about seeing this. Reading Styles' comment/spoiler in the 2nd page of this thread will save me the trouble from wasting my time.

This. If I had seen the original I would have known better than to bother with Spike's version. I can't help but think he was trying to pull an Academy Award out of his ass, ala Scorcese with The Departed (aka Infernal Affairs). But he's not in the establishment like Scorcese, so I don't know what made him think it would work.

On it's own, Spike's movie is good. Well acted and beautifully shot. It's a good movie. But the original was fucking deep. Like Lisa Ann's pussy deep. You could lose car keys in there. Ebert actually called it out in his review of the original Oldboy: this movie just goes to show how shallow American movies have become.

I'm going to watch more of Park's work and report back. I'm kind of turning a corner here on foreign films and I'm grateful to the board for the nudge.
White Girl Connoisseur
Shotgun Styles Wrote:
yellowhitey Wrote:I've seen the original. I've always had a bad feeling about remakes so I'm worried about seeing this. Reading Styles' comment/spoiler in the 2nd page of this thread will save me the trouble from wasting my time.

This. If I had seen the original I would have known better than to bother with Spike's version. I can't help but think he was trying to pull an Academy Award out of his ass, ala Scorcese with The Departed (aka Infernal Affairs). But he's not in the establishment like Scorcese, so I don't know what made him think it would work.

On it's own, Spike's movie is good. Well acted and beautifully shot. It's a good movie. But the original was fucking deep. Like Lisa Ann's pussy deep. You could lose car keys in there. Ebert actually called it out in his review of the original Oldboy: this movie just goes to show how shallow American movies have become.

I'm going to watch more of Park's work and report back. I'm kind of turning a corner here on foreign films and I'm grateful to the board for the nudge.

In Scorcese's defense, The Departed is a lot truer to Infernal Affairs than remake Oldboy is to the original one (in terms of the questions it wants to ask people). Both films ask hard questions and make people think, Lee for some reason didn't have it in him to challenge people with his film. But I can't help but feel that if Scorcese directed the Oldboy remake it would be a lot closer to the original and a lot deeper, because he's one of the few 'Hollywood' directors willing to take risks and shock the audience.