MMA Fight Rhonda Rousey vs Holly Holm
Shotgun Styles Wrote:MMA is a bullshit sport to begin with, nothing like the sweet science of boxing.

Having said that, MMA needs people like Ronda. It's rating have been flagging for some time, profits in steady decline since 2012. Holm CANNOT carry the sport. I think Ronda's act was fully intentional to drive up PPV buys.

This could well be the beginning of the end of a terrible sports fad.

We both know that boxing the 19th century was utter garbage compared to what it is today. Matter of fact the boxing from the first half of the century looked ugly as fuck as well.

MMA is not a fad, it's just really young and going through it's awkward teen phase.

But you knew this.
vesuvius Wrote:We both know that boxing the 19th century was utter garbage compared to what it is today. Matter of fact the boxing from the first half of the century looked ugly as fuck as well.

MMA is not a fad, it's just really young and going through it's awkward teen phase.

But you knew this.

There's no strategy to it. Whomever gets in the first lucky shot can then sit on the opponent and pound or choke them. The only way to make MMA properly competitive is to get rid of grappling and ground fighting. That ain't gonna happen because MMA has attached too much of it's image invested in the "ground and pound".

Mixed martial arts doesn't work as a sport because mixing these elements destroys the competitive and strategic balance that these disciplines have on their own. Judo works as judo, boxing works as boxing, wrestling works as wrestling. Each with it's own rules and advantages. Mix them together and you get the dogshit hot mess that is MMA.

Guacamole is great. Ice cream is great. Guacamole ice cream would be almost as horrible as Mixed Martial Arts.
White Girl Connoisseur
Shotgun Styles Wrote:
vesuvius Wrote:We both know that boxing the 19th century was utter garbage compared to what it is today. Matter of fact the boxing from the first half of the century looked ugly as fuck as well.

But you knew this.

There's no strategy to it.

I am sorry, but this is utter horseshit, a good example is how Fedor Emelianenko dealt with Mirko Filipovic. Fedor knew Mirko was a far more experienced kickboxer, so he decided to train with Ernesto Hoost. Hoost pointed out that even though Filipovic had a vicious left high kick, he did not like to be pressured. Fedor built his strategy around this very fact, dealing body blows and keeping the pressure on him, while off course avoiding the left. Obviously this was easier said then done, but Fedor did all the little things necessary to pull this off.

Quote:Whomever gets in the first lucky shot can then sit on the opponent and pound or choke them

Once again, wrong. This happens now and then, but not nearly as often as some people (and yes some mma 'fans') seem to say. Sorta like women talking about rape culture...

The strategy of laying and praying so to speak peaked about 10 years ago and these days fighters are so well-rounded that they can escape it quite easily. If you stick to the same strategy fight to fight, you will quickly find yourself building up a losing streak, cause your opponents coaches WILL figure you out.

Yes fighters can be pounded and choked out, but they specifically train to have defenses against this and this is why I say MMA is just in it's 'awkward teen phase', that defensive aspect of the game was much weaker 10 years ago.

The reason Fedor was so dominant is because he was basically the only heavyweight back then who DID think strategically.

All of your points had merit....10 years ago. These days its just hyperbole.
I'll add one more thing

[youtube]KxUttABOHSo[/youtube]

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxUttABOHSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxUttABOHSo</a><!-- m -->
[Image: uh-oh-did-i-strike-a-nerve.jpg]

I don't care about MMA one way or the other, but since you do I'll let it go.

I also think boxing will make a huge comeback in a few years, then get banned by the leftists/feminists as "too dangerous".
White Girl Connoisseur
Anyone who thinks Ronda is acting or that MMA has no strategy, hasn't followed either for long enough to even sniff a credible opinion on the matter.

:lol:
[Image: 7p10mnlqnzhmwpza.gif]
As a somewhat casual boxing fan(i know more than the average person but less than a true fan).....

Boxing won't make a true comeback until they rid themselves of this alphabet soup of titles. IBF, WBA WB of whatever the fuck. It makes my head spin. No clue on which title actually means something. MMA(UFC) has the leg up on them on that one. Obviously, it helps that UFC is a self contained enterprise but their titles/champions reign supreme over other organizations(Bellator etc). Back in it's prime and UFC's "pre-teen" years, Pride F/C organization out of Japan, their champs were on par with UFC. Can't remember if they were both champs at the time but Rampage best UFC's golden boy at that time, Chuck Liddell in a sanctioned fight.
Currently Diggin-
Lauren Phillips/Nikki Sexx/Kylie Page/Joseline Kelly/Ryan Smiles/Stella Cox/Jynx Myze/Tiffany Watson/Virgo Peridot/Bailey Brooke
This was hard to watch. Holm didn't just beat Rousey, she broke her spirit.

Ronda Interview
White Girl Connoisseur
^^ Rampage wasn't champ at the time, Wanderlei was. Rampage later came to the UFC and beat Liddell in a rematch for the UFC LHW title and then fought Henderson (who had beaten Wanderlei in Pride) in a unification bout, becoming the unified LHW champ.
[Image: 7p10mnlqnzhmwpza.gif]