American Gods: new Starz series...
Episode one tonight. Black male lead, some IR themes.

**Spoilers**

1) It makes not one bit of gawd damn sense at all. Very Donnie Darko/Requiem for a Dream in it's tone. Surrealist.

2) Ian McShane. Can't go wrong with this dude.

3) A woman actually eats a man with her pussy. Now how many times in your life will you get to see that.

4) Lead actor is very Luke Cage like in his demeanor/approach.

5) I think Starz might have actually come up with something good for once. Power was garbage.

6) Production values/special effects are pretty top notch, and some decent action too.
White Girl Connoisseur
[Image: OxvA.gif]
I've been waiting for this for damn near a year. This is my type of show. Can't decide if I'm going to watch it weekly or wait until the season is up and binge it :lol:

They got a hell of cast for this one too. Ian McShane, Gillian Anderson, Orlando Jones, Crispin Glover, Peter Stormare. I've had a thing for Emily Browning since Sucker Punch and Ricky Whittle (main actor) was great on the 100.
[Image: 29794256717_8d7a83bfa1_o.gif]
Hope it's as good as the book. Saw episode 1, im liking what im seeing.
[Image: DGaaBwz.gif]
^I read the book will say that it probably wont be as good as it was but honestly I always find that the books are much better than shows or movies because you can immerse yourself in the story much more and the books always provide greater detail and your mind can paint a much more vivid picture.

I did enjoy the show there were a few changes the change in appearance of the Technical boy seeing as the novel was published nearly 20 years ago what a stereotypical tech geek looked like has definitely changed in that time so I really did not have a problem with that.

Am looking forward to seeing the series play out might pull out the novel to brush up as well.
blkknight1 Wrote:^I read the book will say that it probably wont be as good as it was but honestly I always find that the books are much better than shows or movies because you can immerse yourself in the story much more and the books always provide greater detail and your mind can paint a much more vivid picture.

I did enjoy the show there were a few changes the change in appearance of the Technical boy seeing as the novel was published nearly 20 years ago what a stereotypical tech geek looked like has definitely changed in that time so I really did not have a problem with that.

Am looking forward to seeing the series play out might pull out the novel to brush up as well.
*Hopes to sweet baby Jesus they make the bisexual girl attractive and not a SJW whale.*
I hope they've used the House on the Hill as a shooting location.
bakajin Wrote:.

Can you say Power is garbage and keep your Black card? LOL. I couldn't get past three episodes, but have friends, serious people, who love it.

I agree with the season 1 critics consensus: predictable and formulaic, nothing new to see here. It didn't piss me off like some other shows, it just never gave me a compelling reason to watch.
White Girl Connoisseur
Can you say "The Wire is boring" and keep your black card? I sat through season 1 and was bored to tears.

*Tosses black card indifferently*
vesuvius Wrote:Can you say "The Wire is boring" and keep your black card? I sat through season 1 and was bored to tears.

This is blasphemy, and now we have to fight in the parking lot. :twisted:

But seriously, if you're not into cop shows or crime movies, I imagine The Wire is boring as hell. There really isn't a lot of action. Like "A Few Good Men", it's mostly just a series of conversations. If you're not into cops/crooks intrigue, I can definitely see it as being dull.

Contrast that with the other two shows considered "the best ever": The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. Lots more visual storytelling, violence and action to keep your attention. So while I don't agree that The Wire is boring, I can totally see where you're coming from.

Did you ever see "Generation Kill?" Probably the most underrated miniseries of all time. Like "The Hurt Locker", it is very true to actual military life.
White Girl Connoisseur
bakajin Wrote:
vesuvius Wrote:Can you say "The Wire is boring" and keep your black card? I sat through season 1 and was bored to tears.

You can't say that and keep your "I can competently discuss film and TV" card. At least tell us why you were bored.
*Tosses card*

I keep hearing people say that it's amazing tv about how institutions can make it hard to get up in the world, but all I saw was a bunch of people constantly sabotaging their own success with their own stubborness and bad decisions due to pride and ego.

I also just didn't particularly like any of the characters and one thing a series needs for me to hook me in, is to have a character that's likable. I know every black man thinks Omar is awesome, but I had a hard time empathizing with him, as the only thing we have in common is being black. That left several police officers I couldn't sympathize with (Lester was okay, but he wasn't enough), the Barksdale organization who are all about "family" and taking care of the hood (outside of dealing and killing off course) and the bureaucrats.

Yeah, no, im not sitting through another season of this.